Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Parks & Recreation

Healthy Parks, Healthy Portland

Phone: 503-823-7529

1120 SW Fifth Avenue, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Play area
Sports field
St. Johns Park
8427 N Central Street Locate this site in PortlandMaps

General Info
Acreage: 5.87
Acquired in 1941

Includes accessible play area, BEECN - basic earthquake emergency communication node, paths - paved, picnic tables, playground, soccer field, and softball field.
Accessible Play Area BEECN - Basic Earthquake Emergency Communication Node</It> Paths - Paved Picnic Tables Playground Soccer Field Softball Field

Special Information
Park hours: 5:00am-midnight

For COVID-19 related information on closures and postponements, please visit

To reserve a sports field, call 503-823-2525.

BEECN - A Basic Earthquake Emergency Communication Node (pronounced beacon) is a place to go in Portland after a major earthquake to ask for emergency assistance if phone service is down, or report severe damage or injury. More information here.

Accessibility Information

- Street parking
- Paved pathway to play area
- 250 feet to play area

Play Area
- Engineered mulch surface
- Rubberized surface for merry-go-round
- Ramp into play area

Play Equipment
- Transfer station
- Sensory play elements

Other Amenities
- Accessible restroom inside community center
- Accessible picnic table

Historical Information
The park is located in the community of St. Johns, which was named in honor of settler James John. In 1846 he built a brick house at the edge of the river on what was once an Indian camping ground. He filed for a Donation Land Grant of 320 acres in 1850. In 1852, he operated a general merchandise store in part of his house as well as a ferry across the river. James John laid out part of his property as an eight-block town site which was platted in 1865 with an eight-block addition in 1868. It was named for him in 1892. It is said his reputation as a hermit and recluse inspired the title "Saint" John. One explanation for the additional 's' that now appears in the town's name is that the area may have been referred to as St. John's - meaning that the place belonged to James John - and the apostrophe was eventually dropped.