About 98% of the landscape is native including oaks, Douglas fir, cedar, willow, red and blue elderberry, Oregon grape, trillium, thimbleberry, and others. This steeply sloped site is part of the Fanno Watershed, containing the headwaters of the two forks of Woods Creek. Although most of the park was logged about one hundred years ago, there are still some historic trees. It offers a natural setting that attracts wildlife in the quiet woods, along the creek, and in the meadow.
Woods Memorial Natural Area was a gift to Multnomah County from the Southwest Hills Kiwanis Club on December 15, 1950. The deed stipulated that the "site was to be . . . Used for park and playground purposes only. . . ." Multnomah County transferred ownership of the site to the city of Portland in 1988.