Peninsula Park Community Center
General InfoAcquired in 1913
Includes basketball court – indoor, community center, gymnasium, meeting room – reservable, party room – reservable, preschool program, and wireless Internet access.
Built in 1913, this Italian villa style facility was the first community center in the Portland park system. Its original floor plan was perfectly symmetrical, consisting of one pool, two locker rooms, and two gyms - one for men, the other for women. Such separate-but-equal social attitudes were also reflected in the entryway murals: young men featured in the area leading to the men's side, and young women on the women's side. The Portland Lavender Club, a dance and social group for women over age 50, originated here and it was home to a women's volleyball club for many years.