accessible play area, paths – paved, picnic tables, playground, soccer field, and softball field.
Park hours: 5:00am-midnight
To reserve a sports field, call 503-823-2525.
Parking - Street parking
- Paved pathway to play area
- 250 feet to play area
Play Area - Engineered mulch surface
- Rubberized surface for merry-go-round
- Ramp into play area
Play Equipment - Transfer station
- Sensory play elements
Other Amenities - Accessible restroom inside community center
- Accessible picnic table
Wading Pool Update PP&R has closed its wading pools for health and safety reasons, as required by new State of Oregon regulations. In 2002, an inventory and assessment of wading pools was completed. Based on those recommendations, as well as input from maintenance and planning staff, PP&R has identified 17 wading pools for replacement and 7 for elimination. Please read the FAQ for more information.
The park is located in the community of St Johns, which was named in honor of settler James John. In 1846 he built a brick house at the edge of the river on what was once an Indian camping ground. He filed for a Donation Land Grant of 320 acres in 1850. In 1852, he operated a general merchandise store in part of his house as well as a ferry across the river. James John laid out part of his property as an eight-block town site which was platted in 1865 with an eight-block addition in 1868. It was named for him in 1892. It is said his reputation as a hermit and recluse inspired the title "Saint" John. One explanation for the additional 's' that now appears in the town's name is that the area may have been referred to as St John's - meaning that the place belonged to James John - and the apostrophe was eventually dropped.