In 1938, Nick Sckavone, a southeast Portland druggist who devoted a good part of his life to the development of both amateur and professional baseball in the city, began a successful campaign to convince the Park Bureau that the new park should include a field for adult baseball. In 1939, $197,299 was allocated by the City to transform the area into a park; $42,000 was used to build the baseball field. The very first baseball season got underway in 1940 and since that time, Westmoreland Baseball Park has been the launching ground for several professional careers and championship teams. In 1943, the City added a wooden stadium. The field needed lights, but city funds were not available. Not deterred, Sckavone and the Portland Amatuer Baseball Association (PABA), which he founded, organized a benefit baseball game at the old Vaughn Street Park, after which Sckavone handed the City a check for $2,000. Impressed by this show of support, the City budgeted the additional $11,000 and new lights were installed in 1944. In 1955, the facility was renamed Sckavone Field in honor of the man who was so instrumental in its creation. When Portland's citizens passed the Parks Improvement Levy in 1989, $375,000 was earmarked to rebuild Sckavone Stadium. The new structure was dedicated June 23, 1992.