Frederick Van Voorhies Holman was a prominent lawyer in Portland during the 1890s. He was also president of the Oregon Historical Society. His great hobby was growing and exhibiting roses and he organized the Portland Rose Society in 1902.
Part of the Holman property had been flushed down to Guild's Lake by Lafe Fence's flume in 1909. After Fence was brought to task, Holman had a plaster of paris scale model made of the property to estimate how much it would cost to return the property to its original contours in order to develop it. Discouraged by the City from taking such a great risk, he offered the property as a park if the property between it and Macleay Park were acquired. The property was donated to the city by his siblings George F. and Mary Holman on August 16, 1939, and F.V. Holman's wish was fulfilled when Forest Park was dedicated nine years later.