Built in the 1920s, the original building consisted of the gymnasium and the outdoor pool. When the pool was open during the summer, the gym was divided down the middle with floor-to-ceiling wood walls and used as locker rooms. Over the years, several improvements and expansions were made to the original building. A 1950 tax levy provided money to build a combination room that was used as a dressing room in the summer and for social activities during the winter. A 1992 renovation added permanent preschool and gymnastics rooms. In 1998, another classroom was added, the multi-purpose room was upgraded, the parking lot was doubled, and new equipment was added to the outdoor playground. On June 16, 2006, the gymnasium was dedicated to Larry Krohn, a long-time PP&R employee and resident of the Montavilla neighborhood.