See below for a story by Michael Higgins with photos by Zoran Bozicevic from from the National Post updated February 14, 2012.
Japan’s Reconstruction Agency will be inaugurated Friday, almost 11 months after an earthquake and tsunami devastated the country. The agency will streamline the process to help municipalities, set up special reconstruction zones and provide subsidies for disaster-hit local governments.
- 245 — Cost in billions of dollars of the post disaster reconstruction package.
- 15,846 — Number of dead.
- 3,320 — People still missing.
- 2 — Number of missing people found dead this year.
- 240 — Number of orphans in the three most severely affected prefectures, Miyagi, Iwate and Fukushima.
- 16 — Million tons of disaster waste in Miyagi Prefecture, one of the hardest hit areas of Japan.
Click here to read the full story and view before and after photos from the earthquake and tsunami.