Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Portland Housing Bureau

Solving the unmet housing needs of the people of Portland.

Phone: 503-823-2375

fax: 503-823-2387

421 SW 6th Avenue, Suite 500, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Subscribe to RSS feed

Most Recent

View More

Help for Veterans

Our country has several programs that provide homeless veterans with rent assistance and supportive services so they can find a home and rebuild their lives. Yet even with these resources, veterans may still struggle to find a home in our community's tight rental market.

Can you help our veterans by renting to someone in the program?

Here's what you need to know:

  • Veterans participating in HUD's VASH program are in good standing, with honorable discharges.
  • They receive a full complement of supportive services from Veterans Affairs, which is a requirement for participation.
  • With VASH rent assistance, veterans can afford reasonable rents, regardless of their income.
  • Funding from Home Forward, the City of Portland, and Multnomah County can cover security deposits and other move-in costs as necessary.
  • If you haven't worked with Home Forward in the last 24 months, you will receive an automatic $200 for the first apartment you rent to a veteran.

For Landlords:

If you can help our veterans, please contact Home Forward's dedicated landlord services team at or call 503-802-8333, option 6.

Or contact Transition Projects at 503-280-4663.

For Veterans:

If you are a veteran in need of housing assistance, contact the VA Community Resource and Referral Center at 800-949-1004 ext 51256.

Or contact Transition Projects at 855-425-5544