Applicants can elect to build affordable units off-site in another new development (receiving site), separate from the multifamily development that is subject to the program requirements (sending site).
- 20% of the sending site’s total number of residential units, affordable at 60% AMI in the newly constructed receiving site, or
- 10% of the sending site’s total number of residential units, affordable at 30% AMI in the newly constructed receiving site
- Sending site retains any FAR bonus (varies by zoning code and plan district; see Maximum Base and Bonus Density/FAR table)
- Construction Excise Tax exemption (for receiving site’s affordable units)
- SDC exemptions (for receiving site’s affordable units)
- Sending site will be exempt from parking requirements as detailed in Title 33
- Receiving site remains subject to any additional Inclusionary Housing program requirements
- Affordable units built on receiving site must be reasonably equivalent in size, quality and bedroom count to units in sending site
- Receiving site must be identified and approved by PHB prior to building permit issuance for sending site
- Receiving site must be within a one-half mile radius of sending site, or in an area of equal or higher Combined Opportunity Map score*
- Receiving site cannot be supported by any additional PHB subsidy
- PHB staff determines whether proposed development is compatible with program requirements (if determined incompatible, applicant must choose another option)
- Affordable units must be made available as set forth in Regulatory Agreement (or sending site subject to financial penalty). Receiving site also subject to Regulatory Agreement.
- General Contractor for receiving site will enter into agreement with third-party technical assistance provider (approved by PHB prior to opening bids for construction)
- Receiving site must receive a Certificate of Occupancy within three years of sending site’s building permit issuance (or subject to financial penalty)
*Opportunity map scores can be verified on PortlandMaps.com. Search property address and select ‘zoning and districts’ under ‘permits and zoning’.