Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Housing Bureau

Solving the unmet housing needs of the people of Portland.

Phone: 503-823-2375

fax: 503-823-2387

421 SW 6th Avenue, Suite 500, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Relocation Exemption

To be exempt from paying Relocation Assistance to a Tenant in a Dwelling Unit subject to Portland City Code Section 30.01.085, a Landlord must:

1. Meet the criteria for an exemption listed in Section 30.01.085.G;

2. File the required form(s) with the Portland Housing Bureau (“PHB”)

3. Receive an acknowledgment letter from PHB (the “Acknowledgement Letter”); and 

4. Provide a copy of the exemption Acknowledgement Letter to the Tenant prior to one of the following actions ("Triggering Relocation Assistance"):

a. Issuing an Increase Notice;

b. Issuing a Termination Notice;

c. Declining to renew or replace an expiring Rental Agreement; or

d. Declining to renew or replace an expiring Rental Agreement on substantially the same terms except for the amount of Rent or Associated Housing Costs. 

 Exemption Applications will take around 1-2 weeks to process.