The following information is for contractors who are interested in bidding on and completing work for clients of the Portland Housing Bureau's (PHB) Home Repair Loan Program. On this page, you'll find forms, procedures and other related information. If you are performing work for the Portland Lead Hazard Control Program or Down Payment Assistance Loan Program, please consult with your Construction Coordinator.
Becoming a PHB-Approved Contractor
Contractors interested in becoming a PHB-Approved Contractor should read the Contractor FAQ (English, Spanish) to learn about eligibility requirements. Contact a PHB Construction Coordinator listed below if you have additional questions.
Working with a PHB Home Repair Loan Client
To ensure a successful project, PHB, its clients, and contractors must work together in a professional manner. The following steps describe the contractor's role in a typical PHB-funded home repair loan renovation project:
- Based on the scope of work provided by the PHB Construction Coordinator at the bid conference, the contractor provides the client and a PHB Construction Coordinator a detailed bid to complete the work. See Contractor Bidding Requirements for more information.
- The contractor is selected by the client; the PHB construction agreement is signed by the contractor and the client; PHB funds the loan; the contractor enters into a construction contract with the client; and PHB issues a Notice to Proceed.
- The client contacts the selected contractor to schedule and begin work.
- During construction the client and PHB review, inspect and approve periodic construction draws along with a signed Disbursement Request Form.
- Change orders are allowed if they are approved by PHB Construction Coordinators and signed by the client in advance of the additional work being conducted. See the sample Change Order Form.
- Upon completion of the job, the client performs a final walk through with the contractor.
- The contractor sends a final invoice to the client who then forwards the invoice to PHB along with any permit finals and a signed Disbursement Request Form.
- PHB performs the final inspection and approves final payment to the contractor. Selected contractors perform work for the PHB client on a reimbursement basis. PHB makes construction draws on a percentage of work performed and approved basis. All payments are paid as promptly as possible after approval.
PHB Contact Information
For more information about these requirements and procedures please contact your assigned PHB Construction Coordinator, or one of the following Construction Coordinators:
Tara Anderson at Tara.Anderson@portlandoregon.gov or 503-823-3411; fax is 503-865-3433
Molly Luft at Molly.Luft@portlandoregon.gov or 503-823-6706; fax is 503-865-3433
PHB is an equal opportunity lender and equal opportunity housing provider.