Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Housing Bureau

Solving the unmet housing needs of the people of Portland.

Phone: 503-823-2375

fax: 503-823-2387

421 SW 6th Avenue, Suite 500, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

5. What Should a Landlord or Tenant do if They are Uncertain of how the Relocation Assistance Ordinance Applies to Their Situation?

If a Landlord or Tenant has questions or concerns about the Relocation Assistance Ordinance and seeks general guidance to understand the law, they are encouraged to contact the Rental Services Office.  The Office, located within the Portland Housing Bureau on the 5th floor of the Commonwealth Building at 421 SW 6th Ave, is open from 9-11 am and 1-4 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  The Rental Services Office can be reached by phone (503-823-1303), fax (503-865-3260), email ( or by walk-in. 

Staff at the Rental Services Office will provide information about city laws and policy and referrals to other sources of information.  However, they cannot offer legal advice or tell an individual person what to do in a specific situation.  The following resources may be more helpful in specific situations:

Information on and enforcement of city code

City Housing inspector (503-823-2633)

Short-term rental regulation (503-823-7526)

Bureau of Development Services records information (503-823-7660)

Free or low-cost legal help or help resolving Landlord-Tenant issues

Community Alliance of Tenants Renters’ Rights Hotline (503-288-0130) [information]

Fair Housing Council of Oregon (503-223-8197, extension 2) [information & legal assistance]

Neighborhood Mediation Program (503-595-4890) [dispute resolution]

Legal Aid Services of Oregon (503-224-4086) [legal assistance]

Oregon Law Center (503-295-2760) [legal assistance]

Disability Rights Oregon (503-243-2081) [legal assistance]

Portland Tenants United (503-836-7881) [tenant union organizing]

Information and referrals for financial or emotional assistance

Home Forward (503-802-8300) [low-income housing and rent assistance]

Independent Living Resources (503-232-7411) [for people with disabilities]

VA Portland Regional Office (1-800-827-1000) [for veterans]

Multnomah County Crisis Line (503-988-4888) [24/7 mental health call center]

211 [information and referral line for government programs and community partners]

Information for Landlords and property managers

Fair Housing Council of Oregon (503-223-8197, extension 5)

Multifamily NW (503-231-1281)

Portland Area Rental Owners Association (1-888-305-7782)