Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Police Bureau

Sworn to protect. Dedicated to serve.

Phone: 503-823-0000

Fax: 503-823-0342

Non-Emergency: 503-823-3333

1111 S.W. 2nd Avenue, Portland, OR 97204

Frequently Asked Questions

Non-Emergency Reporting

Crime Tips

Victim Resources

Public Records Access

Traffic Laws and Vehicle/Bike Issues

Vehicle Towing

Neighborhood Livability Concerns

Portland Police News

Fraud Complaints

City Ordinances and Oregon Laws

Police Bureau Publications and Community Services

City/County Services

Preventing Crime

Multnomah County Jail FAQs

Top of Page

Non-Emergency Reporting

How do I report a non-emergency crime?

The non-emergency number is 503-823-3333. Officers there will help you file a police report by mail and by phone. This number handles jurisdictions within the metro area, and is a 24-hour number.

What do I need to do to file a crime report?

To report the following crimes, call the non-emergency number at 503-823-3333 and select "Situation that requires a police officer at your location, press 1"
If you have been a victim of an assault;
If you need to report a burglary to home or business;
If you want report your vehicle has been stolen;
If you want to report a missing person, endangered person or report for a first time runaway juvenile thirteen (13) years old and younger;
If you need to report a non-emergency disturbance that is happening now;
If you need to file a report for a crime committed and you have suspect information;

To report crimes that have already happened such as vehicle break-ins, vandalism; theft, fraud, identify theft, hit and run, harassment, or lost property and you do not have any suspect information:
Call 503-823-3333 and select "If you need to make a police report, press 2" to file a report over the phone with an officer.

How do I file a restraining or stalking order?

Information on who can file for a restraining or stalking order is available through the Multnomah County web site. It also includes the steps you need to complete and where to go to file.

How do I block a phone number?

To block a phone number - *60 blocks the call. However, there is a monthly fee through your phone company for this service.

How do I report harassing phone calls?

To trace a phone call - hang up and dial *57 and stay on the line to see if the call was successfully traced. You need three traceable calls in a 24 hour period to make a report. Make sure you tell the caller to not call this number again. Call the non-emergency number at 503-823-3333 to make a report and select "If you need to make a police report, press 3."

Where do I report found property (i.e., bicycle, lawn equipment, back pack).

If you found property such as the items listed above, call the non-emergency number - 503-823-3333 and select "Situation that requires a police officer at your location, press 1." Remember when reporting found property you need to be within five minutes of the location of the property.

Top of Page

Crime Tips

How do I report a tip about a crime that has been committed?

To provide a tip to Crime Stoppers, call 503-823-HELP or leave a tip on the website.

Who do I call if I have information about a Cold Case?

For reporting tips to the Cold Case Unit, call Crime Stoppers - 503-823-4357 or fill out this online form.

Top of Page

Victim Resources

Where do I find my case number?

If a patrol officer responded, your case number will be on the back of the officer's business card. If you reported your crime to the non-emergency number, you can receive your case number by calling the Records Division at 503-823-0043. You will need to have the following information: name, address, date of crime, and type of crime.

How do I check to see if my vehicle has been recovered?

For information on the notification process, call Auto Records at 503-823-0044.

Where is my property?

The Property Room is located at 2619 NW Industrial Way, Ste B-4. They are open M-F 10am - noon and 1pm - 4pm. Trimet bus #17 will take you there as well. You should call ahead to make sure your property is available, 503-823-2179.

How do I get my property that was held as evidence released?

You can contact the officer that put the hold on the property at the precinct where they work. The officer will send the release to the Property Room at their discretion, depending on the circumstances of the hold. If the officer is no longer with the Bureau or on an extended absence, their supervising sergeant may be able to release certain property.

Top of Page

Public Records Access

How do I get a copy of a report or 9-1-1 recordings?

Information on obtaining 9-1-1 recordings.
To receive copies of a report.

Top of Page

Traffic Laws and Vehicle/Bike Issues

How do I file a traffic accident report?

Traffic accident victims should remember to exchange vehicle and insurance information with all parties involved at the scene of the accident. Forms are available on-line. Use this site to find out what to do if the other driver is uninsured or how to obtain a DMV insurance history.

How do I report Traffic Safety Issue?

Contact the Transportation Safety and Neighborhood Livability Hot Line (503-823-SAFE) or visit PDOT's website.

Where do I pay a traffic or parking ticket?

Multnomah County Courthouse; 1021 SW 4th Ave, Room 106.

Where do I report a problem driver?

To report an at-risk driver, use the Driver Evaluation Form [PDF] on ODOT's website. For general information regarding a potential medically at risk driver, visit the DMV's Medically at Risk Driver Program.

Where do I find out about Traffic school?

Call Legacy Emanuel Hospital at 503-413-2672 for information about the Share the Road Safety Class.

Where do I find information on the laws for scooters, mopeds and pocket bikes?

Read the Motorized Scooter's and the Law [PDF] brochure on using bike lanes for handicapped, drivers' license endorsements for 35cc gas-powered scooters, motorcycles and more.

Where do I find the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) laws?

For information on state laws for motor vehicles, call 503-299-9999 or vist the Oregon DMV website.

Where do I find information on bicycle laws?

To find information about bicycle law and requirements, call 503-823-CYCL (2925) or visit The Bicycle Law Section of PDOT's website.

What are the laws about using helmets?

For information about helmet laws and use of helmets, call 503-299-9999 or download the Motorcycle & Moped Driver Manual

Who do I call for current road conditions? When do I need to take off my studded tires?

For information on dates for studded tires and chain requirements and current road conditions, call 5-1-1 or visit the Traction Tires Section of the TripCheck website.

What are the laws regarding child safety seats?

To find information about child weights, heights, and how to install child safety seats, visit the Child Passenger Safety Law section of the Oregon Impact Traffic Safety website.

Top of Page

Vehicle Towing

My car was towed by PPB. How do I get it back?

In order to obtain a release for your vehicle, you must APPEAR IN PERSON at the Portland Police Bureau Records Division, which is located at 1111 S.W. 2nd Avenue, Portland, OR 97204. Public Hours: are 7 AM - 7 PM Monday through Friday and 8 AM - 4 PM Saturday. The Division is closed Sunday and City of Portland Holidays

Vehicles will be subject to sale if not claimed within 15 days after the first day of storage.

Here is a list of what to bring with you and the fees associated with a towed vehicle.

Where do I find information about towing regulations? Who do I file a complaint with against a tow company?

Visit the Towing and Impoundmentsection of our website.

Top of Page

Neighborhood Livability Concerns

Where do I report an abandoned vehicle or an illegally parked vehicle?

Call the Abandoned Vehicle Hotline 503-823-7309 or visit the Abandoned Autos Section of PDOT's website.
Call Parking Patrol at 503-823-5195 to report on an illegally parked vehicle on public property.
If the abandoned vehicle is on private property, call the Bureau of Developmental Services at 503-823-2633. For assistance visit the BDS website.

Where do I find information on reporting barking dogs?

Visit the Barking Dogs Section of the Multnomah County website.

Where do I find information about trespassing?

Call the Neighborhood Response Team officer for your neighborhood and ask about the Trespass Enforcement Agreement or visit Office of Neighborhood Involvment website for more information.

Why were there so many police cars in my neighborhood or on my block this morning/last night?

Daily information about what is happening in your neighborhood can be viewed on a third party website, For more information about the service and a link to Portland Data read this datasheet.

You can also follow the Public Information Office on Twitter for information about major incidents and read press releases.

Why are helicopters flying over my block or neighborhood?

The media uses helicopters to give traffic updates and to report the news. If you want to file a noise complaint or want to know why they are flying in your neighborhood, contact the local television station.

Top of Page

Portland Police News

Where can I find out about a police story I heard on the news? Where can I retrieve a copy of a news release?

You can read press releases from the Public Infomation Office (PIO), follow the PIO on Twitter or get email updates via our PBNotify Service.

Top of Page

Fraud Complaints

How do I report a scam? I have information about a possible fraud.

To file a fraud report, call the non-emergency number at 503-823-3333 and select "If you need to make a police report, press 3." For phishing or other scams call the Oregon Attorney General's Office at 503-229-5576 or visit their website.

I received a check that came back marked non sufficient funds (NSF) - what can I do?

The first step is to send a demand payment letter to the address on the check demanding payment for the amount of the check(s). Send your letter using registered mail. The post office will provide you with a receipt for the registered letter. You will need to wait 10 days for a response. If no response is received after the 10 day period, call the non-emergency number at 503-823-3333. Select "If you need to make a police report, press 3 for assistance."

Top of Page

City Ordinances and Oregon Laws

Where do I find information on city ordinances or resolutions?

Visit the City Code and Charter Section of the Auditor's website or call the City Auditor's Office at 503-823-4082.

Where do I find information about the city's Noise Ordinance?

No excessive noise is allowed in the City of Portland between the hours of 10:00pm and 7:00am. To report noise during these hours, call 503-823-3333 and select "Situation that requires a police officer at your location, press 1." To report noise outside these hours, call the City Noise Officer at 503-823-7350.

What is the curfew for juveniles?

Curfew information is available on the Multnomah County Juvenile Court website. Or you may call the Juvenile Court at 503-988-3460.

What are the rules about using Pepper Spray?

Read the Tear Gas and Stun Gun information on the Auditor's website or call City Auditor at 503-823-4082.

How do I become emancipated? Where do I find information about emancipation requirements?

For information on emancipation requirements, call Juvenile Services Division - 503-988-3460.

Where do I get information on issues of child custody or visitation rights?

To make a Custodial Interference report, call the non-emergency number at 503-823-3333 and select "If you need to make a police report, press 3." Legal and physical custody is usually awarded by a judge. Visitation is the privilege of non-custodial parents to spend time with their children. Non-custodial are parents who do not have the legal or physical custody of their children.

Top of Page

Police Bureau Publications and Community Services

How do I arrange for a ride-along with an officer?

For information on a ride-along with an officer, download this ride-along packet [PDF].

Where do I find the policies for the Police Bureau?

You can read all of the Police Bureau's Policies and Procedures in The Manual of Policy and Procedure.

How can I get an emergency food box?

Contact the Sunshine Division, which provides emergency food and clothing to Portland area families in partnership with the Portland Police Bureau. Call 503-823-2102 for help. Visit their website for more information about the Sunshine Division.

How do I register for the Disability Accommodation Registry (DAR) program?

DAR is a voluntary registry for people with developmental, mental health or physical disabilities who may have difficulty communicating their needs to an officer because of an acute crisis or a continuing disability. Download a form here.

Top of Page

City/County Services

Where do I report loose, injured and/or deceased animals?

For general animal issues - No barking dogs complaints taken. Contact Multnomah County Animal Control, 503-988-7387 or visit the Multnomah County Animal Services website.

Where do I get a concealed weapons permit?

For information on concealed weapons, please visit the Multnomah County Sheriff Office's Concealed Handgun Licensing Unit website.

Where do I find information about the fire stations?

Call Portland Fire and Rescue - 503-823-3700 or visit the Fire Bureau's website.

Where do I go to have my background checked?

To have your background checked visit the Oregon State Police's website.

Where can I find information about eviction notices?

A landlord can give a tenant a 30 days notice to vacate and not state a reason why. To find information on evictions, call the Multnomah County Civil Courts at 503-988-3022 or visit their website.

Top of Page

Preventing Crime

Where do I find crime prevention tips on home and vehicle security?

For home and vehicle safety, police and crime prevention services, and other public safety education visit the crime prevention information section of our website. You can also watch a video with some tips on Keeping Your Home Safe from Burglars.

Top of Page

Multnomah County Jail FAQs

How do I find out if someone is in jail in Multnomah County?
How do I find out when someone is going to court?
Can I find out if there is a warrant out for my arrest?
How do I bail someone out of jail?
Where is an inmate located?
Can I find out when an inmate will be transferred to another county or prison?
Can I get a message to an inmate?
Can I find out what time an inmate is being released?
What are an inmate’s charges and what are the statuses of those charges?
Can I get a copy of my mug shot to use for identification?
Can I get jail information on anyone?

Please see the MCSO FAQ Page

Top of Page