Follow the Cadet Program:
The Police Cadet Program is designed to offer young men and women firsthand experience and training in the field of law enforcement while working individually or as a team to develop confidence and leadership skills that benefit any career choice. The Cadet program looks to achieve these goals through mentorship, classroom instruction, hands-on training and experiences.
Once accepted into the program, Cadets will be assigned to either North, East or Central precinct posts. Recruit Cadets must attend the Portland Police Bureau Cadet academy. Academy graduates will then transition to their individual posts for completion of the probationary process and regularly scheduled meetings. All posts provide training meetings on Sundays.
Eligible Cadets participate in a variety of uniformed details, assignments, fundraisers, ride-alongs and community engagement events throughout the city. Eligible Cadets are also provided the opportunity to participate in the yearly Law Enforcement Challenge competition.
The Cadet Academy is largely based on class content provided for full time Officers at the State of Oregon Police Academy (DPSST) and Portland Police Bureau Advanced Academy. Many of the Classes are targeted to develop an understanding and appreciation of the criminal justice system, Oregon laws and the professional ethics and skills applied to law enforcement. The academy typically starts in January and ends in April. Classes typically run 12 consecutive weeks and are held on Sundays
- Must meet age requirements: 16 – 20 years of age **Must be 16 prior to January 31st to apply**.
- Must be a High School or GED program graduate or be a student maintaining a 2.0 GPA or higher.
- Must have no arrests or convictions which would prohibit employment as a Portland Police Officer.
- Must possess or have the ability to immediately obtain a valid driver’s license or instructional permit and maintain a good driving record.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation and interview.
APPLICATION PROCESS / BECOMING A PPB CADET:
- Must meet all qualifications and submit a complete, properly filled out application
- Must pass the background investigation
- Must successfully pass an interview
- Must graduate from Cadet Academy
- Must complete probationary process
The number of Cadets selected each year varies depending on program needs
Upon completion of the program, we encourage Cadets who wish to continue in the field of law enforcement to apply with the Portland Police Bureau testing process.
Please contact our Police Cadet Program Coordinator:
Cadet Coordinator: Officer Brian Pelster
Portland Police Bureau - North Precinct
449 NE Emerson
Portland, OR 97216