Portland Police Bureau Cadet Program
The Police Cadet Program is designed to offer an introduction to law enforcement for young men and women interested in pursuing a career in this rewarding profession. The Program provides mentorship, classroom instruction and hands-on training.
Upon completion of the Program, we encourage Cadets who wish to continue in the field of law enforcement to apply with the Portland Police Reserve Unit and, when eligible, take part in the Portland Police Bureau testing process.
What are the Cadet Program's Objectives?
- Instill an understanding and appreciation of the criminal justice system, and the professional ethics applied to law enforcement.
- Develop an appreciation and understanding of Oregon laws.
- Our goal is for the Cadets to become future Community Police Officers for the Portland Police Bureau.
- Description of possible Cadet Officer duties
- Application requirements and process
- More information and Ride Alongs
Once accepted into the Program, Cadets are assigned to one of three Precinct Posts. Police Cadets work many details and assignments in uniform and are involved in the following areas of community events and services:
- Attending weekly meetings
- School Safety Fairs
- Vacation house checks
- Traffic speed watches
- Assisting police officers at road hazards, traffic accidents and crime scenes
- Ride-Alongs with police officers
- State competitions
- Fundraising events
Police Cadets gain valuable experience and training in preparation for a career in law enforcement. Although Police Cadets have no police powers, they receive the following training:
- Community Policing philosophy
- Ethics and decision-making
- Cultural awareness
- Driving techniques
- Crime scene control
- Defensive tactics
- Firearms safety
- Report writing
- Oregon laws
- CPR/First Aid
Those interested in the program must meet the following criteria:
- Ages 16-20
- Maintain a minimum "C" grade point average.
- Have no arrests or convictions which would prohibit employment as a police officer
- Be able to pass a background investigation
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis. Applications will begin to be processed during September in preparation for the Cadet Academy which begins in January of each year.
Ride Along Application
To gain a better understanding of the community service you could offer and the experience you will gain as a Police Cadet please apply to go on a Ride Along.
Apply for a Ride Along:
To apply for a ride along with a police officer, please print the below form and return it (fax or mail) to the precinct of your choice. Make sure to include a specific date allowing at least three weeks for an officer to be scheduled for your Ride Along. Also include the specific shift you would like to experience: Morning 7am - 5pm, Afternoon 4pm - 2am, Night 10pm - 8am. Although you are not required to stay for the entire shift, we do ask that you dedicate at least 5 - 6 hours of your time. Ride-Along Request Form [PDF]
1111 SW 2nd Ave.
Portland, OR 97204
737 SE 106th Ave
Portland, OR 97216
449 NE Emerson St.
Portland, OR 97211
Please contact our Police Cadet Program Coordinator:
Cadet Coordinator: Officer Brian Pelster
Portland Police Bureau - North Precinct
449 NE Emerson
Portland, OR 97216