Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Police Bureau

Sworn to protect. Dedicated to serve.

Phone: 503-823-0000

Fax: 503-823-0342

Non-Emergency: 503-823-3333

1111 S.W. 2nd Avenue, Portland, OR 97204

Subscribe to RSS feed

Most Recent

View More

0631.70 Investigation of Animal Problems



  • DIR 640.13  Drug Lab Procedures
  • DIR 870.40  Prisoner’s Animals


POLICY (631.70)

It is the policy of the Bureau to work within the contract with Multnomah County Animal Control to provide a prompt and humane response in investigating and correcting animal problems.

PROCEDURE (631.70)

Multnomah County Animal Control (MCAC) is responsible for the investigation of all complaints regarding domestic animals and the enforcement of animal related laws to include noisy, dangerous, loose or abandoned, cruelty to, sick, injured, and dead animals. MCAC is also responsible for protective custody of prisoners’ animals.

Member Responsibilities (631.70)

For non-emergency situations, members will refer the complaint and/or problem to MCAC. Police units will not be dispatched for situations involving barking dogs, dog bites where the animal is presently contained, cats on a roof, strays, loose livestock, etc., unless the animal is creating a hazardous condition.

In emergency situations, members will take appropriate action and immediately notify MCAC or advise the Bureau of Emergency Communications (BOEC) dispatcher to notify MCAC. Police units will respond to hit and run accidents involving domestic animals and situations where an animal is injured or the animal is dead and is creating a traffic hazard. After MCAC personnel arrive at the scene, members should continue to provide assistance if requested.

Members have the option of calling MCAC to take a prisoner’s animal into protective custody at the scene or impounding the animal and transporting it to the Central Precinct animal holding cage per DIR 870.40. In situations where MCAC is requesting to take prisoners’ animals into protective custody at the scene, members should ensure that MCAC personnel are provided with the name and address of the responsible party for subsequent retrieval by the owner.

Members will not contact privately contracted animal retrieval companies directly. These companies provide after hours response under contract with MCAC. Individual pet owners may be referred to these companies for services at the individual’s own expense.

The Planning Bureau will investigate complaints involving zoning or sanitation problems.

In situations involving non-domestic animals (i.e., deer, raccoons, etc.), members may contact the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife for assistance.

Destruction of Dangerous and/or Destructive Animals (631.70)

Members encountering injured, dangerous and/or destructive animals may use firearms to destroy the animal under the following conditions:

a.  The animal represents an immediate danger to the life or personal safety of the member or other persons.

b.  The animal is an immediate and substantial hazard to valuable property.

c.  The animal is seriously injured and no other humane disposition is available.

Before destroying a dangerous animal, members will exhaust all other practical means of containing or capturing the animal. If time allows, members will obtain permission from a supervisor.

Notification and Reporting (631.70)

Members destroying an animal will notify a supervisor and will complete any necessary reports. Copies of all reports will be forwarded to the Training Division.

Warrant Service (631.70)

Members will assist MCAC in warrant services when the animal control officer has knowledge of a potential problem and requests Bureau assistance to serve the warrant. Members will also assist if the animal control officer encounters a problem and immediate assistance is required.