Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Police Bureau

Sworn to protect. Dedicated to serve.

Phone: 503-823-0000

Non-Emergency: 503-823-3333

1111 S.W. 2nd Avenue, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

0240.00 Employee Assistance Program



  • DIR 612.10 Death Messages
  • DIR 1010.10 Deadly Physical Force 

POLICY (240.00)

The Bureau is committed to providing comprehensive assistance programs for members through a system designed for ease of access and appropriate confidentiality. The Employee Assistance Program consists of a coordinator and staff who will manage programs including, but not limited to, the Volunteer Chaplains, Peer Support Team (PST), Traumatic Incident Response Team, Police Alcohol Recovery Team (PART), and the current contracted mental health provider. The EAP is available to all members and their families for counseling and assistance in time of need, and can be accessed by contacting the coordinator or individual program team members on the MHP toll free number. 


Directive Specific Definitions Traumatic incidents: Situations faced by members, on or off duty. A traumatic incident is defined as one or more of the following:

a.  Experiencing actual or threatened death.

b.  Threats to one’s own physical safety and well-being.

c.  Witnessing these events occurring to others.

d.  Any event that can cause intense fear, horror, helplessness, or cause them to experience unusually strong emotional reactions that have the potential to interfere with their ability to function either at the scene or later. 


RU managers and supervisors are strongly encouraged to contact the EAP Coordinator at the earliest possible time in the event of a traumatic incident, or when they become aware that a member is experiencing personal stress or personal issues. This will ensure the opportunity for comprehensively dealing with members’ personal and professional well-being. The EAP coordinator’s 24-hour pager number is available by contacting BOEC in emergencies, and is also listed in the Problem Solving Resource Guide, Bureau phone directory, or his/her precinct desk.