1. The integrity of police service is based on honesty and truthfulness. No member shall knowingly or willfully be dishonest or untruthful in giving testimony, in rendering a report, in any official oral or written communication, or in giving any statement about actions taken that relate to the member's own or another member's employment or position. Being dishonest or untruthful includes knowingly or willfully making false statements, knowingly or willfully falsifying work-related records or official documents, omitting material facts or material information, or answering questions or providing information in a manner that is evasive, deceptive, or misleading.
2. These requirements apply to any report or communication concerning Bureau business, including, but not limited to, oral communications, written reports, transmissions to the Bureau of Emergency Communications, and communications to members via radio, telephone, pager, e-mail, text, or mobile data computer (MDC).
3. Members will not make any false statements to justify a criminal or traffic charge, or seek to unlawfully influence the outcome of any investigation.
4. Members are obligated under this directive to respond fully and truthfully to questions about any action taken that relates to the member's employment or position, or to the employment or position of another member, regardless of whether such information is requested during a formal investigation or during the daily course of business.
5. A limited exception to the standards in this directive is when deception is necessary due to the nature of a member's assignment, such as an undercover assignment, when necessary to acquire information for a criminal investigation or for public safety, or when necessary to protect the physical safety of the member or others. The use of deception in these circumstances must be for a specific and lawful purpose and must be temporary in nature.
- Originating Directive Effective: 09/06/01
- First Revision Effective:11/19/14
- Second Revision Effective: 7/30/15
- Next Review Date: 7/30/16
- Review By: Chief’s Office
PROVIDE FEEDBACK: Use this FORM