*Please note that all Human Resources Administrative Rules are established by the Bureau of Human Resources. Although we are eliciting comments for this directive, the Portland Police Bureau is unable to modify or otherwise amend citywide administrative rules.
344.00, Compliance with Human Resources Administrative Rules
- City of Portland, Human Resources Administrative Rule 1.02, Administrative Rule Development and Issuance
- As employees of the City of Portland, Portland Police Bureau members, sworn and non-sworn alike, are subject to all City of Portland’s Human Resources Administrative Rules (HRAR).
2. A citywide HRAR is defined by all of the following criteria:
2.1. It has broad application throughout the City of Portland,
2.2. It helps ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, promotes operational efficiencies, enhances the Bureau of Human Resources mission or reduces institutional risks,
2.3. It mandates or constrains action,
2.4. The subject matter requires Council or Chief Administrative Officer review and approval for rule issuance and major changes.
3. Current versions of HRAR may be accessed via the City Auditor’s website.
4. The Director of Human Resources maintains authority for the interpretation and application of rules, while Bureau Directors are charged with employee education and ensuring compliance.
5. Additionally, Bureau members must read and electronically acknowledge the following critical HRAR:
5.1. HRAR 2.02, Prohibition Against Workplace Harassment, Discrimination, and Retaliation
5.2. HRAR 4.01, Drug and Alcohol Use Prohibited
5.3. HRAR 4.08, Information Technologies
5.4. HRAR 4.09, Use of City Resources
5.5. HRAR 4.12, Workplace Violence Prohibited
5.6. HRAR 5.01, Discipline
5.7. HRAR 11.01, Statement of Ethical Conduct
5.8. HRAR 11.02, Prohibited Conduct
5.9. HRAR 11.03, Duty to Report Unlawful and Improper Actions
6. If there is a conflict between a citywide HRAR and a collective bargaining agreement, the collective bargaining agreement prevails.
- Originating Directive Effective: 09/06/01
- First Revision Effective: 10/12/01
- Second Revision Effective: 11/19/14
- Third Revision Effective: 08/14/15
- Next Review Date: 08/14/17
- Review By: Chief’s Office
PROVIDE FEEDBACK: Use this FORM