338.00, Discipline Guide
1st Universal Review: 5/25/17-6/24/17
- Directive 335.00, Discipline Process
- Discipline Guide: An advisory document used to provide direction to Responsibility Unit Managers, the Police Review Board, the Chief of Police, and the Commissioner in Charge, when determining appropriate discipline.
1. The current Discipline Guide will be posted online for the consideration of all Bureau members.
2. The Professional Standards Division will include a copy of the Discipline Guide when providing case materials to a Responsibility Unit Manager, the Police Review Board, or the Chief of Police, for review and findings.
3. Bureau members involved in the disciplinary process will use the Discipline Guide in making their recommendations regarding discipline.
4. The Discipline Guide provides presumptive discipline for different types of offenses. This presumptive discipline may be modified based on mitigating and/or aggravating factors and the disciplinary history of the subject member. If the Chief of Police and/or Commissioner in Charge impose discipline at a level outside the Discipline Guide, a written explanation will be provided.
5. If a member involved in the review chain makes a recommendation for discipline that falls outside the Discipline Guide that member must document their reasoning in a memorandum.
6. The Discipline Guide will be reviewed on an annual basis by the Professional Standards Division and the City Attorney’s Office; any recommended changes will be forwarded to the Chief of Police for review and approval.
PROVIDE FEEDBACK: Use this FORM