Interim Chief Chris Uehara – Biography
Portland Police Bureau Hire Date: June 14, 1990
Interim Chief Chris Uehara was appointed to the Portland Police Bureau on June 14th, 1990. He was promoted to Sergeant in 1998 and promoted to Lieutenant in 2002. In 2007, he was promoted to Captain and worked in the Family Services Division. He later worked in the Tactical Operations Division as a Commander, Youth Services Division as a Captain, North Precinct as a Commander, and most recently as the Assistant Chief of Operations. As Assistant Chief of Operations, Uehara oversaw Central, East, and North Precincts along with the Traffic and Youth Services Divisions.
Uehara has received more than 30 letters of commendation including a Meritorious Medal for Valor, a Police Medal, and multiple Unit Commendation Medals. He was also honored with a Distinguished Service Medal for his extensive work creating and developing the Bureau’s four-year mission in Bangladesh, teaching community policing. In addition, Chris has been actively involved in developing the Z-Man Foundation and has been committed to youth programs, such as conducting the Bureau’s Summer Camp.
Recognized for his heartfelt leadership style, Uehara is a leader who inspires others to achieve their best potential so they may provide professional and compassionate service to the community.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Social Work from Pacific University, 1989
- Middle Management Certificate from Portland State University, 2003
- Executive Management Certificate from Portland State University, 2005
- Executive Certificate "Global Change" from Harvard Kennedy School of Govt, 2017
- ZMan Scholarship Foundation, 2009 – Present
- N.W. Leadership Seminar Board, 2012 – Present
- Community Police Relations Committee, 2012 – 2015
- G.R.E.A.T National Policy Board, 2012 – 2014
- Oregon Nikkei Endowment Advisory Board Member, 2017 - present
- Police Commendation Medal – 1993
- Meritorious Medal of Valor – 1996
- Police Medal – 2001
- Bureau Commendation Award – 2012
- Distinguished Service Medal – 2014
Uehara enjoys family time with his wife and children. He is an avid published photographer, enjoys fishing, vegetable gardening, cooking Hawaiian style cuisine and trains area youth in football, wrestling, and the sport of powerlifting.