Hello. I’m Lieutenant Tina Jones, the public information officer for the Portland Police Bureau. This is the first of several briefings for Saturday, August 17th.
Here’s the latest:
- Some demonstrators have begun gathering on both the east and west side of the river including Waterfront Park.
- Law enforcement and partner agencies have been briefed and have prepared for weeks for today’s events.
- Police officers are patrolling the downtown area. Our police liaison officers are contacting groups and individuals and will continue to do so.
- If you’re an organizer and have not been contacted, reach out to our Liaison Officers at PPBLiaison@portlandoregon.gov or through Twitter at @PPBLiaison.
- Police have seized some weapons from demonstrators to increase public safety.
- Our number one priority for today is safety for all.
- If anyone sees anything suspicious or anyone committing a crime, call 9-1-1.
- We ask that you avoid coming to the area as an observer because this presents more challenges for law enforcement officials to do their jobs.
Please note that this is a developing situation, and this update is based on the best information we have at this time. We will be back with another briefing as needed. In the meantime, be sure to follow our twitter feed @PortlandPolice. Our official hashtag is #ppbalert