Hello. I’m Lieutenant Tina Jones, the public information officer for the Portland Police Bureau. This is an update on demonstrations occurring in downtown Portland today on Saturday, August 17.
Here’s the latest:
- Officers have made at least three arrests related to today’s demonstrations. We will release details about law enforcement actions later in the day.
- Over the course of the morning, several hundred demonstrators gathered in, or attempted to move toward, Waterfront Park and make contact with each other.
- The bulk of one group moved to the east side of the Willamette River.
- Another group remains on the west side and some individuals are now marching in streets near Waterfront Park.
- Portland Police and law enforcement partners continue to try to keep the opposing groups separate, although there have been limited interactions between individuals.
- At this time, the demonstrations are contained to a very small area of downtown.
Please note that todays’ events continue to develop, and this update is based on the best information we have at this time. We will be back with another briefing soon. In the meantime, be sure to follow our twitter feed @PortlandPolice. Our official hashtag is #ppbalert