Hello. I’m Lieutenant Tina Jones, the public information officer for the Portland Police Bureau. This is an update on demonstrations occurring in downtown Portland today on Saturday, August 17.
Here’s the latest:
- The demonstration in downtown Portland has now been declared a civil disturbance. Individuals gathered in the SW Park and Morrison area must now leave the area immediately.
- People should stay out of the area for their safety.
- The crowd of demonstrators in downtown Portland is dwindling. At one point an estimated 1200 individuals were present and now the crowd size has fallen to about a third of that.
- One of the primary objectives of our crowd management teams is to provide quick medical treatment to anyone injured in demonstrations such as these.
- Today Portland Fire medics embedded within these teams evaluated five individuals during the course of the events, all injuries are said to be minor with only one transport. One individual was treated for a medical condition not related to the demonstrations.
- Portland Police and our law enforcement partners worked throughout the day to try to keep the opposing groups separate in an effort to keep everyone involved safe.
- There were limited interactions reported between individuals.
- At least 13 arrests have been made.
- If anyone in the area of demonstrations witnessed criminal activity, or has video of a crime, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.