August 05, 2018 10:55
After demonstrations that took place on August 4, 2018, the Police Bureau was made aware of allegations of injury as a result of law enforcement actions during the protest.
"This morning I learned of allegations of injury as a result of law enforcement action. I take all force applications by members seriously and I have directed the Professional Standards Division to begin the intake process regarding these allegations to determine if force was used and if so, was within our policy and training guidelines," said Chief Outlaw.
The Office of Independent Police Review (IPR) will be provided with these allegations for review and investigation.
Officers are required to write reports after any use of force. The Bureau reviews force applications to determine if members actions were within Police Bureau policy. The policies that direct Bureau members' actions regarding complaint intake, crowd management, force application and review, and weapons qualifications may be found in the following Portland Police Bureau directives:
* 0330.00 Internal Affairs, Complaint Intake and Processing: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/674602
* 0336.00 Police Review Board: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/674632
* 635.10 Crowd Management/ Crowd Control: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/649358
* 1010.00 Use of Force: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/647779
* 1021.00 Weapons Qualifications: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/647799
The protests that took place on August 4, as with all other Portland demonstrations, were widely filmed by media and members of the community. Portland Police officers are aware of the continuous filming and as an organization, the Portland Police Bureau welcomes the filming as a way to further increase transparency.
Complaints about officer conduct should be directed to the Office of Independent Police Review (IPR) for investigation. Visit https://www.portlandoregon.gov/ipr/52031 or call (503) 823-0146 for further information on how to file a complaint.
1111 SW 2nd Ave
Portland, OR 97204