Suspect in northeast Portland shooting fled from police -- died after self-inflicted gunshot following long negotiation

Portland Police Badge
Portland Police Badge

March 31, 2021 10:31


On March 30, 2021 at about 10:10 p.m., Portland Police responded to a shooting in the 300 block of Northeast 131st Place. Officers arrived to find a person with what appeared to be a non-life threatening gunshot wound. That person was transported by ambulance to a hospital.

Officers developed some suspect information, including a license plate and vehicle description. At about 10:38 p.m., an officer found the suspect vehicle near Southeast 143rd Avenue and Southeast Stark Street. Officers attempted to stop that vehicle, but the suspect attempted to elude. Police pursued the vehicle until it came to a stop in a dead end parking lot near Southeast 122nd Avenue and Southeast Mill Street.

Officers began communicating with the suspect who would not get out of the vehicle. Officers could see he was armed with a handgun.

The Portland Police Special Emergency Reaction Team (SERT) and Crisis Negotiation Team (CNT) responded to the scene.

Police, including the Crisis Negotiation Team, communicated with the suspect over the next few hours. At one point during the negotiations, officer believe the suspect fired a shot inside the vehicle.

At about 4:00 a.m., SERT deployed CS gas in order to draw the suspect from the vehicle. At about that time officers believe the suspect appeared to have taken his own life with a firearm.

Police preserved the scene so detectives could investigate. The cause and manner of death will be determined at a later time following an autopsy.

The investigation is ongoing. Additional information will be released at the direction of detectives.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Detective Scott Broughton 503-823-3774 or Detective Rico Beniga 503-823-0457.



Media Relations:
Phone: 503-823-0830
1111 SW 2nd Ave
Portland, OR 97204


© OpenStreetMap contributors