UPDATE: Portland Police Officer and Suspect Injured During Struggle in Downtown Portland

UPDATE: Portland Police Officer and Suspect Injured During Struggle in Downtown Portland

October 31, 2012 10:50


Attachment: VIEW FILES

The suspect who pulled a knife on two police officers in Downtown Portland last night was booked into the Multnomah County Jail on multiple charges late Tuesday evening.

19-year-old Frank Heselton Jr. was charged with two counts of Attempted Assault of a Public Safety Officer, two counts of Menacing, and one count each of Carrying a Concealed Weapon, Interfering with a Police Officer, Reckless Endangerment, Resist Arrest, and Unlawful Use of a Weapon.

Officers contacted Heselton at Southwest 11th Avenue and Columbia. Based on Heselton's behavior, they were concerned that he might be involved in drug and or car prowl activity.

When the officers approached Heselton to talk to him, he shoved one of the officers, who then pushed him against the wall and held him there to prevent Heselton from running or assaulting the officers.

Heselton pulled a dagger from his waistband and the officer backed away from him and announced to his partner officer that Heselton had a knife. Heselton began to run away, knife in hand, from the officers towards several people walking on the sidewalk. One officer fired a Taser at Heselton, which caused Heselton to fall to the ground, but he quickly got up and maintained the knife in his hand as he ran away.

Officers continued to chase Heselton as they called for cover officers to come to the area.

On Southwest Salmon Street, between 11th and 12th Avenues, officers were able to catch up to Heselton and knock him to the ground. During the course of taking Heselton into custody, one officer deployed a Taser, which resulted in Heselton releasing the knife and being taken into custody after violently struggling with officers. The knife was recovered at the scene.

While knocking Heselton to the ground and during the ensuing struggle, one officer suffered injuries requiring transport to a Portland hospital.

Officer John Billard, an eight year veteran of the Portland Police Bureau, remained in the hospital overnight for treatment for two broken ribs, a bruised lung, and a head wound requiring seven staples. He is in good condition and will be released today. Officer Billard is assigned to the Gang Enforcement Team.

Officer Billard does not wish to do any interviews but would like to thank community members for their concerns as well as the staff at the hospital for his excellent care.

Heselton was also transported to a Portland hospital for treatment to minor injuries. He was released after a few hours and transported to jail.


This evening, Tuesday October 30, 2012, at approximately 7:30 p.m., two Portland Police officers contacted a man at Southwest 12th Avenue and Columbia Street. Officers had reason to take the man into custody and as they were approaching him the man pulled a knife on the officers.

The officers backed away and the man took off running. Officers chased the man on foot and after a lengthy pursuit they caught up with him at Southwest 12th Avenue and Salmon Street. While taking the man into custody officers deployed a Taser. During the struggle, one officer and the suspect suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Both have been transported to area hospitals for treatment.

The suspects name and charges will be released at a later time.


Attachment: VIEW FILES


Media Relations:
Sgt. Pete Simpson
Desk: 503-823-0830
Pager: 503-790-1779

Portland Police Bureau
1111 SW 2nd Ave, Suite 1526
Portland, Oregon 97204