May 01, 2017 21:55
On Monday May 1, 2017, 25 people were arrested after a permitted May Day rally and march devolved into a riot after dozens of suspects committed numerous criminal acts including disorderly conduct, riot, arson, criminal mischief (vandalism), theft, and assault.
Prior to the permitted march beginning, officers took possession of numerous sticks, poles, and homemade shields from participants arriving at Shemanski Park in Southwest Portland.
Early in the march, which was scheduled to travel through Downtown Portland and return to Shemanksi Park, rocks and projectiles were being launched at police officers and paramedics, including a full Pepsi can that struck a Portland Fire & Rescue paramedic assigned to assist the Portland Police Bureau's Rapid Response Team (RRT).
Shortly after that, the situation devolved into a full-scale riot with random acts of vandalism to Downtown businesses, cars, and public and private property. Various fires were set in the street and in garbage cans, a police car was spray-painted and vandalized, and there were attempts to set at least one business on fire. Numerous projectiles were thrown at or launched at police and firefighters including rocks, bottles, ball bearings, fireworks, smoke bombs, and road flares.
Police Bureau Command announced that the permit for the march was being revoked and encouraged all law-abiding participants to leave Downtown Portland.
Criminal suspects were running all over Downtown Portland making it challenging for officers to effect arrests but eventually police were able to capture large groups of criminal suspects and make arrests in the area of Southwest 5th Avenue, Jefferson to Madison Streets. During the riot, there were limited deployments of less lethal munitions by police.
"I'm very proud of the professionalism of Portland Police officers, Portland Firefighters and the members of the other law enforcement agencies that worked to keep the peace in Downtown Portland under very difficult circumstances," said Police Chief Mike Marshman. "Unfortunately the actions of the law breakers undermined and covered up the message of the law abiding individuals who worked to peacefully get their message heard on May Day."
Any business or private individual who was the victim of a crime during the riot is encouraged to file a police report by calling the Police Non-Emergency Line at 503-823-3333 or filing a report online at https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/cor/
A timeline of information and announcements can be found on the Portland Police Bureau's Twitter account (@PortlandPolice), https://twitter.com/PortlandPolice
Those arrested include three juveniles and 22 adults (age, name, and charge):
* 17-year-old Callie Quinn-Ward -- Arrested for Riot
* 14-year-old Brady Carcmichael -- Arrested for Riot
* 17-year-old Tess Waxman -- Arrested for Riot
* 21-year-old Ayden Michael Foster-Wysocki -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 18-year-old Madhab Pulle -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 37-year-old Tyler Hans Larsen -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 44-year-old Luis Marquez -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 20-year-old Grahme Meneses -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 22-year-old Jace Anthony Willis -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 42-year-old Corey Daniel Joe -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree and Assaulting a Police Officer
* 19-year-old Brianna Borgen -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 34-year-old Rachel Visco -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 33-year-old Phoebe Loomis -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 19-year-old Michell Korin Myers -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 22-year-old Rylie Wolff -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 35-year-old Lucy Elizabeth Smith -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 38-year-old Glenn Allen Silbersdorff -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 28-year-old Christopher Fellini -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 24-year-old Frank Martinez -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree and Resist Arrest
* 28-year-old Ian Lawrence Henderson -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 20-year-old Javier Ivan Reyes -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 34-year-old Dan Edward Wright -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
* 29-year-old Jeff Richard Singer -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree and Interfering with a Peace Officer
* 24-year-old Taylor James Evans -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree and Interfering with a Peace Officer
* 26-year-old John Barton Elliott -- Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
All three juveniles were released to a parent. All adults received a traffic citation for violation of Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 811.535 (Failing to Obey a Police Officer).
Officers seized a small, concealable slingshot from one suspect containing various materials for ammunition.
The arrests of all involved will be reviewed for possible additional charges of Riot, Criminal Mischief and/or other criminal charges.
Individual booking photos of adults (juveniles not released) may be obtained from the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office by visiting http://www.mcso.us
The Portland Police Bureau will continue to investigate criminal acts committed during the riot and is asking the public to share information about criminal suspects with police. Tips can be emailed to CrimeTips@portlandoregon.gov
Crime Stoppers of Oregon offers cash rewards for information, reported to Crime Stoppers, that leads to an arrest in any unsolved felony crime and tipsters can remain anonymous.
Information about any other unsolved felony crime is eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,500.
Information learned from social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter or YouTube should be shared as these tips may lead to the identification of a suspect or suspects. Links can be shared anonymously through Crime Stoppers.
Submit an anonymous tip:
Text CRIMES (274637) - Type 823HELP, followed by the tip.
Online at http://crimestoppersoforegon.com/submit_online_tip.php
Call 503-823-HELP (4357)
to download the TipSubmit app for the iPhone or Droid.
Media-Only Pager: 503-790-1779
1111 SW 2nd Ave
Portland, OR 97204