UPDATE #2: Major Crash Team Investigating a Pedestrian Fatality Involving a MAX Train in East Portland

UPDATE #2: Major Crash Team Investigating a Pedestrian Fatality Involving a MAX Train in East Portland

Portland Police Badge
Portland Police Badge

August 08, 2014 13:10


The man killed yesterday has been identified as 51-year-old David Paul Cain, transient. The Oregon State Medical Examiner is awaiting toxicology results which are expected to take several weeks.

The case remains under investigation.



The Traffic Division's Major Crash Team is continuing the investigation into this morning's fatality in East Portland.

Witnesses and TriMet video provided a preliminary account of the incident. The 51-year-old male pedestrian was walking southbound on the East side of Northeast 122nd Avenue. Witnesses told police that he was stumbling and his movement led the witnesses to believe he may be intoxicated.

He continued into the crosswalk at East Burnside Street at the same time an eastbound MAX train was crossing 122nd on the East Burnside route lines.

As the train slowed to stop at the 122nd Avenue platform, the man stumbled forward and into the side of the rear MAX train car. Responding medical personnel pronounced him deceased at the scene. The preliminary investigation revealed the MAX Operator was properly maneuvering the train and passing through the intersection when the man stumbled into the moving train.

The Oregon State Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death and will submit blood samples for toxicology tests. The man has been tentatively identified but family has not been located so his name will not be released at this time.

The Major Crash Team and Transit Police Division are continuing their investigation.

Regular MAX service has been restored.



This morning, Thursday August 7, 2014, at 10:43 a.m., East Precinct and Transit Police officers responded to the report of an adult male struck by a MAX train at 122nd Avenue and East Burnside.

Officers and medical personnel arrived and located the adult male victim suffering from traumatic injuries. Medical personnel were unable to save the man and he died at the scene.

The Traffic Division's Major Crash Team (MCT) is enroute to conduct an investigation.

Both eastbound and westbound MAX lines are stopped at this time, as well as traffic on Burnside both directions. 122nd Avenue, crossing Burnside is down to one lane in each direction.

Updates will be provided as they come available.



Media Relations:
Phone: 503-823-0830
Media-Only Pager: 503-790-1779

1111 SW 2nd Ave
Portland, OR 97204