City Council adopted the Residential Rental Registration Program in July 2018.
Portland City Code 7.02.890 requires annual registration of residential rental property by all residential rental property owners for the tax year beginning on or after January 1, 2018 (due for most filers by April 15th). Rental activity and rental location addresses are required to be filed on Schedule R and attached to the Business License Tax Filing. The registration fee is $60 per unit for the 2019 tax year and is due on April 15, 2020. Failure to submit your tax return and related tax documents, including the Schedule R, may result in penalties.
There are two options to comply with the Residential Rental Registration requirement:
Please complete these three steps:
1. If you have not registered your business with the City of Portland, download and complete the registration form. If your business is already registered, please go to step 2.
2. Download and complete Schedule R – Residential Rental Registration
3. Mail the completed Schedule R, and the registration form if your business is not registered yet, with your Combined Business License Tax return or exemption request to:
City of Portland Revenue Division
111 SW Columbia St., Suite 600
Portland, OR 97201-5840
Complete Schedule R electronically by filing your Combined Business License Tax return or exemption request online. You will need a PortlandOregon.gov account and will be asked to log in or create an account. To file online, you must first register your business with the City of Portland.
For additional help or questions regarding the Residential Rental Registration Program or Schedule R, email us at RevBurRentReg@portlandoregon.gov or call (503) 823-5157.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who at the Housing Bureau should non-profits contact to confirm/request that they are included on the list of exempted parties?
Non-profits should contact the Rental Services Office:
Phone: 503-823-1303 Fax: 503-865-3260
Office Hours - walk-in and helpline
Monday 9 - 11 AM, 1 - 4 PM
Wednesday 9 - 11 AM, 1 - 4 PM
Friday 9 - 11 AM, 1 - 4 PM
Closed Tuesday and Thursday
PHB Rental Services Office
421 SW 6th Avenue, Suite 500
Portland, OR 97204
2. Would it be necessary for non-profits to confirm/request their inclusion on the list annually?
It will not be necessary for non-profits to confirm/request their inclusion on the list annually. The regulatory agreement provided should indicate the duration of the agreement, which we will keep with our records.
Read additional frequently asked questions on the Portland Housing Bureau's site.