Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

To improve security, on Feb. 11th the city will begin disabling TLS 1.0 on our websites. This change should not impact you unless you are using an old browser. More information


Office of Management & Finance

Revenue Division

Arts Tax: 503-865-4278

Business Taxes: 503-823-5157

111 SW Columbia St, Suite 600, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Selling a Business

Sold or Closed Businesses

When a business is sold or closed, there are a few requirements to close your business tax account:

Complete the Out of Business form:

  • Provide the Revenue Bureau with the new owner's name and address
  • Report whether you ceased all business activity or only activity in Portland or Multnomah County
  • Income from the sale of a business is considered business income and must be reported

File a Combined Tax Return for the year you ceased business

Don't close your account if you have:

  • Contract (installment) sales are also considered continuing business income
  • If you own the real property and intend to rent or lease it to others

Tax Entity Changes:

Existing businesses changing their tax entity (for example incorporating your sole proprietor business) need to re-register and provide their current business tax account number. You will generally be issued a new tax account number for your new tax entity.