The Office of Commissioner Dan Saltzman is hiring!
Job Title: Administrative & Policy Specialist
Salary Range: Compensation commensurate with experience
Location: Portland City Hall, 1221 SW 4th Ave, Ste 230, Portland, OR 97204.
The Administrative & Policy Specialist will perform varied difficult and sensitive administrative and policy support work for Commissioner Saltzman. They will operate in an environment characterized by involvement in broad citywide issues and interact with City elected officials, executives, bureau directors managers and staff, other governmental agencies, constituents and the media on a variety of complex issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative and policy support to Commissioner Dan Saltzman, his Chief of Staff and Policy Directors
- Attend to a variety of office administrative details; maintain document logs for elected official’s signature; record and maintain Council ordinances log for elected official’s staff; develop and monitor databases
- Prepare documents, data and materials for meetings, City Council hearings and community events
- Coordinate office projects and programs as assigned, including policy research and proposals as needed
- Assist with monitoring and writing content for Commissioner’s City website and social media accounts
- Assist staff in responding to constituent inquiries, complaints and concerns; may serve as contact for constituents in assigned areas; prepare written constituent responses; confers with governmental and community organizations
- Attend meetings as the Commissioner’s representative
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
- Knowledge of general office administrative and management practices and procedures, including budgeting, record keeping and filing practices and procedures
- Knowledge of basic functions of the City, including the role and responsibilities of a public governing board
- Experience with constituent communications, standards and procedures; social media communications
- Passion for working in public service and working with the community
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is preferred but not required. Coursework in political science, communications, public administration is desirable.
At least two years of increasingly responsible experience in one or more of the following areas: working for elected official and/or a government agency, multi-faceted communications including social media in public and/or private spheres; outreach to a variety of communities and stakeholders; experience working in/with historically marginalized communities.
If you are interested, please send résumé and cover letter by 5:00 PM, August 18, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org and include "RE: Administrative & Policy Specialist" in the subject line.