Bonneville Power Administration is a non-profit federal power marketing administration based in the Pacific Northwest. They provide about 28 percent of the electric power used in the Northwest, and its resources – primarily hydroelectric – make BPA power nearly carbon-free. The agency also operates and maintains about three-fourths of the high-voltage transmission in its service territory, which includes Idaho, Oregon, Washington, western Montana and small parts of eastern Montana, California, Nevada, Utah and Wyoming.
Specific sustainability initiatives and accomplishments include:
- BPA’s Office Supply Reuse Program has kept over $121,000 worth of office supplies out of the landfill since 2012.
- The agency’s overall recovery rate has exceeded 90% since 2016.
- Electricity consumption in BPA headquarters has fallen 13% since 2016.
- Water consumption in BPA headquarters has fallen 53% since 2016.
- Agency-wide paper purchases have fallen 19% since 2016.
- BPA was a founding member of The Climate Registry and has reported third-party verified scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions since 2009.
In addition, each year BPA hosts the following events to engage its workforce and encourage sustainable decision-making:
- The Earth Month series of activities that include volunteer opportunities, e-cycle drop-off, and sustainability-themed speaking events.
- Pollinator Week, which showcases the importance of pollinators and their habitat while educating employees and contractors about best practices around pollinator habitat.
- A Transportation-Sustainability Fair that connects BPA’s workforce to sustainable options at home, work, and the commute in between.
The agency has been recognized many times for its environmental achievements, including the following awards since 2016:
- Lloyd EcoDistrict Model the Way Leadership Award
- DOE Sustainability Award, Outstanding Sustainability Project
- EPA Federal Green Challenge, Innovation
- EPA Federal Green Challenge (National), Materials Management
- EPA Federal Green Challenge (Regional), Purchasing
- EPA Federal Green Challenge, Leadership
- EPA Federal Green Challenge, Electronics
- DOE Sustainability Award, Data Center Efficiency
- EPA Federal Green Challenge, Purchasing
- EPA Federal Green Challenge, Waste
- Association of Oregon Recyclers, Recycler of the Year (Government), Kevin Kertzman
Federal Green Challenge, Leadership award
905 NE 11th Ave, Portland OR 97232