Menus prepared from scratch. We use only the freshest ingredients paired with impeccable service. Since 1979, Elephants Delicatessen has been providing Portland with great local foods from scratch. As the Elephants team grows, so does their impact on our community. They value practices that reduce waste, conserve energy, and support other local businesses. People, planet, and profit are their measurements for success, and the team over at Elephants is always brainstorming ways to provide better services with a lower impact. They invite your participation and welcome your suggestions and feedback in an effort to continually strive for excellence, sustainability, and unity in our community and for our planet.
- All water used to clean kitchen equipment flows into a sanitary sewer, avoiding storm drains.
- A pioneering member of the Portland Composts! program, composting over 1000 pounds of food waste and soiled paper every week.
- One of the first vehicle owners in the state to cut emissions by using an all-electric Nissan Leaf for deliveries.
- All delivery drivers are compliant with the City of Portland’s No Idling Program, reducing benzene levels in the air.
- The majority of deliveries are transported by our fleet vehicles that include: trucks that use 20% bio diesel, our all-electric car, or by bicycle.
- All “beyond the curb” items are safely recycled: cooking oil, fat renderings, ink cartridges, packing peanuts, bubble wrap, Styrofoam, fluorescent lightbulbs, and batteries.
- Public transit passes are offered at a reduced price as an incentive to decrease emissions.
- Our food service equipment is energy efficient and approved by the Energy Trust of Oregon.
- Produce is sourced locally and sustainably from Duck Delivery Produce, a Food Alliance Certified Distributor.
- Offer catering clients non-disposable flatware, glassware, and china to cut down on single use plastics.
- Donate extra food to Lift Urban, Urban Gleaners, Rose Haven, Operation Nightwatch, and nearby low-income housing communities.
- All Elephants locations participate in a commuter challenge yearly to promote bicycle transportation.
1611 SE 7th Ave, Portland, OR 97214