Reminiscent of an old-world épicerie or European market, Elephants Delicatessen at NW 22nd is Portland’s treasured destination for specialty foods and warm hospitality. Since 1979, Elephants Delicatessen has been providing Portland with great local foods from scratch. As the Elephants team grows, so does their impact on our community. They value practices that reduce waste, conserve energy, and support other local businesses. People, planet, and profit are their measurements for success, and the team over at Elephants is always brainstorming ways to provide better services with a lower impact. They invite your participation and welcome your suggestions and feedback in an effort to continually strive for excellence, sustainability, and unity in our community and for our planet.
- First Portland establishment to utilize 3 different grease traps in order to remove all oils, grease, and fats from wastewater prior to their release into sewer systems.
- Converted all exterior decorative lighting to LED in 2011.
- A pioneering member of the Portland Composts! program, composting over 1000 pounds of food waste every week.
- One of the first vehicle owners in the state to cut emissions by using an all-electric Nissan Leaf for deliveries.
- The majority of deliveries are transported by fleet vehicles that use 20% bio diesel, our all-electric car, or by bicycle.
- All “beyond the curb” items are safely recycled: cooking oil, fat renderings, ink cartridges, packing peanuts, bubble wrap, Styrofoam, fluorescent lightbulbs, and batteries.
- Public transit passes are offered at a reduced price as an incentive to decrease emissions.
- Our food service equipment is energy efficient and approved by the Energy Trust of Oregon.
- Offer our customers non-disposable flatware, and glassware to cut down on single use plastics.
- Produce is sourced locally and sustainably from Duck Delivery Produce, a Food Alliance Certified Distributor.
- Donate extra food to Lift Urban, Urban Gleaners, Rose Haven, Operation Nightwatch, and nearby low-income housing communities.
- All Elephants locations participate in a commuter challenge yearly to promote bicycle transportation.
115 NW 22nd Ave, Portland, OR 97210