For more than a century, HDR has partnered with clients to shape communities and challenge the boundaries of what’s possible. HDR is comprised of 10,000 employees in more than 225 locations around the world—and counting. Their engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services bring an impressive breadth of knowledge to every project. HDR’s optimistic approach to finding innovative solutions defined its past and drives its future.
With over 200 employees in the region, located in Portland, Salem, Bend, and Ashland, Oregon as well as Vancouver, Washington, HDR has served private, municipal, state, and federal clients throughout Oregon and southwest Washington for decades.
HDR formally established a Sustainability Program over 20 years ago, tasked with integrating sustainability into all business practices. HDR’s Portland Green Team plays a key role in actualizing the company’s sustainability goals by minimizing our collective environmental footprint and promoting stewardship. The team’s actions have the added benefit of strengthening inter-personal relations as well as the office’s commitment to the community.
- Compost collection is set up in every kitchen, diverting approximately 175 lbs. of food waste from landfills every week.
- Recycling containers are provided at each desk and at central collection areas with signs clearly depicting items acceptable for recycling.
- Volunteers collect redeemable cans and bottles, and the funds derived are donated to the Oregon Food Bank.
- A print retrieval system has been implemented to minimize printing, and all printers are set to a default of double-sided, black and white to conserve toner and paper.
- HDR’s Portland office is centrally located in the LEED Gold Sixth & Main Building downtown, with easy access to public transportation.
- Public transportation commute subsidies are offered to all employees.
- Secure bicycle parking and locker rooms with showers are available to all employees.
- The use of washable plates and utensils is encouraged over disposable items.
- To minimize use of plastics, bottled water is never provided (good-tasting, potable tap water is available for consumption).
- Certified Green cleaning products are used by HDR and building staff.
- All office lighting uses LED bulbs.
- HDR participates in the Green Street Steward Program, in partnership with City of Portland and BES, providing monthly volunteer maintenance of adopted biofiltration swales in downtown Portland.
- HDR employees volunteer with many other local sustainability organizations including Friends of Trees, the Great Willamette Clean Up, Stream Team Earth Day, Community Energy Project, and the Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership.
Green street stewards
Great Willamette river clean-up