Otak is an international award-winning engineering, urban design, planning, architecture, and landscape architecture firm specializing in regional planning; public works; transit, residential, commercial, industrial, and mixed-use developments; and civic, institutional, and recreational projects. Founded in 1981, Otak draws upon the diversity of their in-house talents to find design solutions that are innovative, cost-effective, practical, and strengthen the community in which they appear.
Otak’s sustainability committee, Green Otak (GO), is comprised of senior-level representatives and provides an organizational framework for implementing actions and monitoring progress. Under the GO committee umbrella are three inter-office, inter-disciplinary focus groups—training, operations, and practice—that create goals, work plans, and budgets for each topic area and carry out projects and programs.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Color copy paper contains 100% post-consumer recycled content, paper towels contain 100% recycled material, and regular copy paper contains 30% post-consumer recycled content.
- Paperless alternatives are used whenever possible (paystubs, invoicing, orientation materials, etc.).
- Lunchroom is well stocked with sustainable dishware along with an ENERGY STAR-rated dishwasher and refrigerator.
- GO sustainability committee engages with TOP committees comprised of employees from all Otak offices to focus on sustainability through training, operations, and practice areas.
- Employee feedback, comments and suggestions related to sustainability actions at work are collected through our intranet.
- New employee orientation includes green practice materials and tour of recycling/compost locations.
- 75% of Otak's Portland staff use alternative modes of transportation for commuting.
- Monthly transit pass provided.
- Indoor bike storage and access to showers and changing room.
- Programmable thermostats automatically reduce heating and air conditioning during closed hours.
- Occupancy sensors or timers are used for lighting in storage room, offices, restrooms and other common rooms.
- Computers, computer monitors, printers, and copiers are set to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- Low flow aerators are used on kitchen and bathroom faucets.
- Low flow bathroom fixtures (toilets/urinals).
- Tap water provided (after all it is from Bull Run).
- Employees earn additional PTO through volunteering in local communities.
- Employees serve in leadership roles in local communities.
- Otak donates services and sponsors community organizations.
Otak participates in EcoChallenge, BTA Bicycle Commuter Challenge, and Parking Day.
Otak’s Portland office has all office supplies delivered via cargo trike through B-Line Sustainable Urban Delivery.
808 SW 3rd Ave Ste 300, Portland, OR 97204