Equal Exchange is a for-profit Fair Trade Organization and worker-owned cooperative founded in 1986. With 21 worker-owners at its western U.S. office in Portland, Equal Exchange endeavors to build long-term trade partnerships that are economically just and environmentally sound, and fosters mutually beneficial relationships between farmers and consumers.
- With offices across the country and several employees who work from home, Equal Exchange’s chief means of staying in touch for staff meetings, and board meetings is using teleconference and video conference technologies – which cuts down significantly on work-related travel.
- Plastic pallet wrap is collected for recycling, hazardous wastes are recycled properly, and electronics are donated or recycled at Free Geek.
- Unsellable, but still good, food is donated to local organizations such as Urban Gleaners.
- Repurposed pallets were made into a prototype garden bed to beautify the warehouse.
- When the company moved to a new warehouse in the fall of 2013, it upheld sustainable practices by using low-VOC paint for the interior, updating interior lighting to efficient T5 and T8 bulbs, and landscaping with water-efficient plants.
3460 NW Industrial St, Portland, OR 97210