The HI Portland Hawthorne hostel is a mainstay Portland’s Hawthorne District and is one of the most eco-friendly hostels a traveler can find. The 35 bed eco-hostel provides 3900 global and domestic travelers annually with GOTS-certified linens and locally made mattresses. The staff help guests experience the best of the neighborhood and the city, including local discounts, brewery crawls and hikes.
- Certified Bike Friendly hostel offering $5 nightly discount for touring cyclists, on-site community fix-it station, cycling maps and tours.
- On-site rainwater harvesting system collects an average of 56,000 gallons per year which is re-used in the hostels toilets.
- Permeable space thrives in the form of living walls, eco-roofs, bioswales, edible and native gardens and a large back-yard.
- Green built meeting room provides free meeting space for local non-profits, community groups and spontaneous yoga sessions.
- On-site composting, recycling and donation center prevents 85% of waste from entering the landfill.
- Public transit info center provided for guests.
- Hosts annual community events for Earth Hour, Earth Day, and UN Days; World Environment Day and World Peace Day.
- Our Great Hostel Give Back and Community Hostelling Fund offers free overnights and travel scholarships.
- Voluntary participant in all local opt-in sustainable energy programs at the 100% level.
- Global Sustainable Tourism Council and EPA Green Power Partner with 90% RECS.
- Hostelling International - Vice Chair of the UNWTO Affiliate Program.
- Triple bottom line Board of Director reporting and member of 40+ network wide green team.
- Annual guest sustainability rating of 96% or higher and two-time winner of the global HI Five! Greenest Hostel Award.
3031 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Portland, OR 97209