Originally founded in 2008 as a residential solar, living wall, and green-roofing installer, SolTerra has expanded to a development and property management company that designs and builds its own mid-rise multi-family projects. In-house architects, engineers, and contractors design each project to be more energy and water efficient than the last.
SolTerra’s mission is to create environmentally friendly, high quality, affordable buildings, and to demonstrate that renewable energy and sustainable construction are both feasible and beneficial. SolTerra’s internal projects use between 50-70% less energy and 50-80% less water than typical multifamily projects. They boast an average Walk Score of 82, and all projects include a green roof, solar panels and vegetated living walls.
- Helped their office’s property owner install a 45kW rooftop solar array and over 6,000 square feet of green roof
- On-site composting of all food waste
- Vegetable garden on roof maintained by Garden Team
- Post-consumer recycled content in majority of office paper products
- Washable hand towels in kitchen and bathrooms to reduce paper towel waste
- Use of durable dishware and filtered tap water is encouraged
- Lighting has been replaced to CFL and LED bulbs throughout office
- Recycling and trash volumes are measured and communicated to staff
- Recycling policies implemented for office electronics, light bulbs, and batteries
- Catering policy implemented to reduce disposable packaging, dishware, and cutlery
- More than half of office staff participate in annual bike-to-work challenges
- Employees are encouraged to track their household energy and water use to compare with each other and our ultra-efficient residential projects
79 South East Taylor St., Suite 401, Portland, OR 97214