Hacker is an architecture and interiors studio of 50+ united by a desire to create spaces that enrich the world – spaces that make people feel more connected to the landscape, each other, and themselves. Hacker is committed to sustainable business practices that reduce carbon emissions, respect the natural environment, and advance social equity.
- Annual audit monitors energy use, garbage, company vehicle mileage, business travel, employee commutes and paper consumption.
- All office equipment is Energy Star rated.
- Employees are encouraged to commute by alternative methods with subsidies, indoor bike storage, and a changing room with a shower.
- 77% of employees commute to work by bike, foot or mass transit.
- Office participates annually in the Bike More Challenge. Belluschi Cup winners 2014, 2015 and 2016 (Belluschi Cup is awarded to the Portland architecture/design firm within the 25-99 category that achieves the best overall score in the Bike Commute Challenge).
- Office lunches and events are served family style to reduce packaging.
- Office provides comprehensive recycling and compost program.
- All office paper products are 100% post-consumer recycled content.
- Employees receive company-supported community volunteer days.
- Participates in The 1+ program, donating architectural services to nonprofit clients every year.
- Employees hold current and past positions on City of Portland commissions, including Design Commission and Human Rights Commission – with volunteer time supported by the company.
- Participates in Architects in Schools program, mentoring elementary school children.
- In-house Sustainable Design Committee provides a forum for studying, distilling and promoting environmental practices.
- Signatory of the 2030 Commitment – Hacker benchmarks, tracks and reports each project’s energy use.
- Over half of employees hold LEED credentials with the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Employees are provided with continuing education stipends for sustainability-related conferences, classes and lectures.
- Commitment to contracting with MWESB firms; in 2014-15, 41% of Hacker’s payments to Oregon sub-consultants went to MWESB certified firms.
- Office is housed in the renovated historic Balfour-Guthrie Building – the first LEED certified architectural office in the nation.
1615 SE 3rd Ave. Ste. 500, Portland, OR 97214