PBS Engineering and Environmental Inc. (PBS) provides professional consulting and management services throughout ten offices in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. They pride themselves in offering experienced local staff and responsive project delivery services to a broad range of public and private clients.
PBS’s core mission is to create and deliver programs, design solutions, and field services to diverse organizations. They do this by combining quality people with quality work, yielding quality results.
- PBS’s formal corporate sustainability program includes sustainable operations, community involvement, and creating a rewarding and fulfilling work environment that provides living wage jobs and professional growth opportunities.
- A Sustainability Baseline Report was developed at the program’s inception in 2015, and annual reports are prepared to document progress as well as to outline future goals. Both reports are available on PBS’s sustainability page.
- The Portland office’s Sustainability Advisory Team meets monthly to advise other offices’ Green Teams.
- PBS purchases clean energy through PGE’s Green Source and Clean Wind Programs, Pacific Power’s Blue Sky Program, and Northwest Natural’s Smart Energy Program.
- Electronic equipment and appliances are Energy Star rated or highly energy efficient, and the PBS Portland office is Energy Star certified.
- Printers and computers are energy efficient and power-down when not in use. An Office Practices Survey is conducted periodically to continue looking for potential improvements.
- The PBS Portland Green Team maintains three green street facilities located a half-mile from the office through the City of Portland’s Green Street Steward Program. Employees walk to the facilities during the lunch hour to remove trash and debris as well as monitor plant health, ensuring the facilities are functioning properly.
- Extra plastics, like clamshells and plastic bags, are collected for recycling, and electronics are properly recycled. Employees take coffee grounds home to be composted in their gardens.
- PBS’ Portland office represents a redeveloped brownfield site. The 1914 building was renovated by reusing structural components such as a historic brick façade and 56-foot span timber trusses. The renovated facility, with energy-efficient lighting and mechanical systems, is a certified Earth Advantage green building. The building was awarded Portland General Electric’s Earth Advantage Award in 2002. More recently, PBS purchased two additional buildings and performed green-oriented renovations focusing on energy and water reduction, green material selection and material reuse.
4412 SW Corbett Ave., Portland, OR 97239