St. Ignatius is a Catholic Jesuit parish founded in 1907. The church welcomes over 900 registered families from around the Portland metro area, as well as many guests and is home to over 200 students at St. Ignatius school, a K-8 school. St. Ignatius discerned ecological justice as a parish focus in 2015 and incorporates this into liturgies, faith formation, the school, service opportunities, and advocacy. Staff and parishioners work together on ecojustice initiatives for the parish community.
- Created a position for an employee to coordinate and facilitate ecological justice initiatives within the parish.
- Reusable dishware is available and always used in the office and for most parish events.
- Organized service opportunities for parishioners to participate in.
- Share weekly eco-tips and other sustainability information with staff and a parishioner newsletter of over 100.
- Only tap water is offered with electric kettles provided for tea for parish office hospitality.
- Staff uses natural lighting whenever possible.
- Events are created to give parishioners opportunity to reflect on actions they can take to be good stewards of the earth.
- The parish joins in advocacy opportunities in support of things that care for the stewardship of the earth.
3400 SE 43rd Ave., Portland, Oregon 97206