The Standard is a family of companies dedicated to helping our customers achieve financial well-being and peace of mind. Headquartered in Portland since 1906, we are a leading provider of financial protection products and services for employers and individuals. Our products include group and individual disability insurance, group life, dental and vision insurance, voluntary (employee-paid) benefits, absence management services, and retirement plans and annuities for employers and individuals.
- Recycling — Recycling bins are visible, located at multiple locations on every floor of The Standard’s downtown offices and employee education is provided. Unused or outdated electronic devices are donated for reuse or, when necessary, properly recycled.
- Employee Engagement — The Green Team, one of The Standard’s largest employee resource groups, is supported by management; sustainability practices are communicated to customers and stakeholders; employee feedback and suggestions are solicited and acted upon where feasible.
- Energy — Renewable energy is purchased for a portion of our electricity use; computers, computer monitors and printers are set to sleep after inactivity; linear lighting uses LED bulbs.
- Paper — Copier/printer paper contains at least 30% recycled content; centralized printers are used; paperless workflow alternatives are used whenever possible.
- Water — Restrooms use low-flow faucets and shower heads. Most of the landscaping is native and drought tolerant.
- Active Transportation — Nearly 60% of The Standard’s 2,000 Portland employees walk, bike, carpool or take transit as their primary commute method; subsidies and reimbursement are offered to employees who use public transit or carpool to work; sheltered, secure bike parking is available for employees.
- Community Engagement — Sponsorship, foundation grants and in-kind services are donated to community organizations; employees receive paid time off to volunteer in the community; employees serve in various community leadership roles; a formal policy promotes contracting with women and minority-owned businesses.
1100 SW Sixth Avenue, Portland OR 97204