Green Hammer is a unified design-build firm and certified B-Corp based in Portland, Oregon. Established in 2002, Green Hammer creates responsible, healthy and inspiring buildings to improve occupants’ wellbeing and relationship with nature. The company focuses primarily on Zero Energy, Passive House and Living Buildings as well as deep green home remodels and tenant improvements. Having design and construction services under one roof, Green Hammer ensures that clients are well-informed during all phases of the project, so that the only major surprise is an exceptional experience.
Energy use reduction is an aspect of everyday life at the Green Hammer office as well as in the field. Green Hammer is a leading design-builder of high-performance buildings that consume significantly less energy than those built to standard building practices. Green Hammer focuses first on energy reduction and then onsite clean, renewable energy to meet buildings’ remaining energy needs.
- One of only 10 architecture firms in the U.S. to achieve the AIA 2030 Commitment, a voluntary goal of carbon-neutral buildings by the year 2030.
- Certified B Corporation and a 2018 B Corp “Best of the World Honoree” for scoring in the Top 10 in our sector on the B Impact Assessment. To qualify for B Corp certification, a company must score 80 or more points. Green Hammer scored 126.
- Rank 9th among 100 companies in Oregon’s Best Green Businesses to Work For (2018).
- Regularly participate in the Bike More Challenge; 2018 and 2019 winner among companies with a staff of 20-49 people.
- Have developed a vetted library of non-toxic building materials that are compliant with the Living Building Challenge’s Red List.
- Focus almost entirely on Zero Energy, Passive House and Living Buildings; our projects significantly reduce energy use compared to conventional building practices.
- Completed Oregon’s first certified commercial Living Building, the Tasting Room at Cowhorn Vineyard & Garden.
- Recipient of Rotary Club of Portland Environmental Achievement Award (2019), Portland Business Journal’s Small Business Innovation Award (2019), Forest Stewardship Council Leadership Award (2017), Earth Advantage LEED for Homes Builder of the Year Award (2014).
- Accommodate bike commuters with an on-site bike room and showers and own one Prius hybrid electric car for staff use during work hours.
- Office has energy-efficient light fixtures, individual desk occupancy sensors, high-efficiency ductless heat pumps and other energy-saving measures.
- Sustainability Team manages office food composting program, recycling centers, purchasing decisions, and other efforts to reduce waste.
- New employees are educated about the company’s commitment to sustainability and all staff receive regular trainings, often in the form of Lunch and Learns, about resources and technologies that can be deployed in our projects to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve the health of buildings.
- Increased commitment to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. Received one of nine Inspiring Diversity Grants from Prosper Portland in 2019.
Tillamook Row Zero Energy Community in Portland, Oregon
Tasting Room at Cowhorn Vineyard & Garden — Oregon’s first certified commercial Living Building
721 NW 9th Avenue Suite # 195, Portland, OR 97209