Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

To improve security, on Feb. 11th the city will begin disabling TLS 1.0 on our websites. This change should not impact you unless you are using an old browser. More information


Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Street, Parking, & Right of Way Permits

A street use permit is required for any work or occupation in the public right-of-way. Typical of this work is construction by private contractors, public agencies, vending, block parties, etc. Construction includes but is not limited to sewer, storm, or water extensions or repairs, franchise utility work, driveway, sidewalk, curb and gutter, structures, landscaping, trees, street lighting, paving, or any other excavation or pertinent installation in the right-of-way.

Insurance Requirements

Insurance Requirements for Temporary Street and Sidewalk Use Permits

Inspector Map

Right-of-Way Inspector Zone Map

Right-of-Way Use Enforcement Program

The Right-of-Way Use Enforcement Program helps resolve construction, utility and community use permitting violations.

Permits for Temporary Use of Parking Spaces, Sidewalk or Travel Lanes

PBOT issues temporary permits to reserve the right of way, including parking spaces, sidewalks, streets and lanes.

Parking Permits

Information about parking permits in Portland.

Leasing the Public Right-of-Way: Exclusive Utility Vaults

Effective July 1, 2016, all new applications for building permits with designs that propose to locate exclusive utility vaults within the right-of-way will need to enter into a lease with the City of Portland through its Bureau of Transportation.

Publication Boxes

Publication boxes are free standing and are intended to provide convenient locations for distribution of publications to the general public.

Events in Portland's Streets

All the information needed to plan and get a permit for your local event.

Environmental Assessment Information Packet 17-18

Permit to remove underground storage tank, soil boring and testing, monitoring well installation

Sidewalk Café Violations

Report a sidewalk café violation

Approved Metal Non-slip Surface

Metal slip resistance

Pre-Approved Vaults

Structurally Pre-Approved Vaults for Use in the Right of Way

Construction Inspections

Street inspections for street improvements and right of way use

Structures, Sewers, Utilities

Structural plans and permits for underground utility mains and services, structures and poles, and sewer connections.

Vacating a Street

Vacating street right-of-way removes the public’s interest and returns control of the land to the underlying fee owner(s) – most often, to the abutting property owners.

Rose Festival and Other Parade Events

Call the Parade Event Access Hotline at 503-823-2633 for info on the Parade Event Marking Ordinance.

Street Naming Process

Information on street naming, street designation, and property numbering

Sidewalk Café Permits

City Code defines operating a sidewalk café as serving food or beverages from a café or restaurant to patrons seated at tables within the sidewalk area adjacent to the café or restaurant. Operating a sidewalk café in the City of Portland requires a permit

Vending Carts

City Code states that it is unlawful for any person to sell any goods or services on any public sidewalk within the City of Portland without first obtaining a permit from the City Engineer.

Driveway, Parking Strip and Sidewalks

Issues permits for: sidewalks, driveways, carriage walks, tree wells, and retaining walls within the public right-of-way.

Dedicating Streets and Granting Easements

If you are required to dedicate new street right-of-way or public easements, this service will tell you how we’ll get the right documents prepared for you.

Plat and Subdivision Conditions

If you are planning to submit a proposed plat to the City of Portland click here.