Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Insurance & Bond Requirements for Permits in the Right-of-Way

This section covers insurance and bond requirements for temporary street-use permits, street-opening permits, sewer connection permits, minor construction, and utility installation in the right-of-way.

Insurance and bond documents are processed by the Utility, Construction & Inspection Insurance & Bond Group, and must be approved by the city attorney prior to issuance of any permits.  Please see links below for general requirements and sample additional insured endorsements.

Insurance Documents (PDF Format)

Bond Documents (PDF Format)

Phone: 503-823-7142.  Email:

Please allow 5-7 business days for processing once documents meeting requirements are received.

Insurance requirements for street and sidewalk use permits: The City of Portland requires the following two documents for Street and Sidewalk Use Permits. The certificate and endorsement must be approved by the City Attorney before a permit can be issued. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing. Documents that contain missing or incorrect information will require a longer processing period.

1. A standard certificate of liability insurance.  The insurance certificate is intended to protect the city from any liability it may incur as a result of granting the requested permit. Certificate shall contain the following:

    • City of Portland – Utilities, Construction & Inspection (UCI) named as the Certificate Holder as follows

City of Portland - UCI
1120 SW 5th Ave – Room 825
Portland OR 97204

  • Minimum Coverage Requirements for Liability Insurance:

  • Per Occurrence coverage not less than $1,000,000 (one million dollars) per occurrence.
  • General Aggregate coverage not less than $2,000,000 (two million dollars).
  • Notification of Cancellation: .

    The City of Portland requires 30 (thirty) days written notice from the insurance company prior to cancellation of the policy
  • In the “DESCRIPTION OF OPERATIONS...” Section of the Certificate:

Indicate the type of permit requested (Street/Lane/Sidewalk Closure, Street Opening, Sewer Connection, Banner, Sidewalk Café, Vending Cart, Community Event, Block Party, etc).

If the insured requests permits for varying locations and dates, indicate “All Operations”. Do not list each permitted location/date. If you do, a new certificate and endorsement will be required for each permit. For sidewalk Cafes and Vending Carts, please list premise location(s).

  • The city requires a clear link between the certificate and the additional insured endorsement.

If there is a space on the endorsement for the policy number, it must be listed. If no space for the policy number is available on the endorsement, either list the endorsement in the description section of the certificate, OR provide a schedule of forms and endorsements.

2. An additional insured endorsement form:

The City of Portland accepts endorsements referring to permits and state or political subdivisions:

The following endorsements are accepted:CG 20 12 04 13; “Additional Insured - State or Political Subdivisions – Permits” or BP 04 52 07 02; “Additional Insured - State or Political Subdivisions – Permits” or an equivalent endorsement.

The City of Portland and its officers, directors, employees, and agents” should be listed in the schedule section of any endorsement where one is included. The schedule field cannot be blank.

If there is a space on the endorsement for the policy number, it must be listed.  The policy number must exactly match the policy number on the certificate.