This section covers insurance and bond requirements for temporary street-use permits, street-opening permits, sewer connection permits, minor construction, and utility installation in the right-of-way.
Insurance and bond documents are processed by the Utility, Construction & Inspection Insurance & Bond Group, and must be approved by the city attorney prior to issuance of any permits. Please see links below for general requirements and sample additional insured endorsements.
Insurance Documents (PDF Format)
Bond Documents (PDF Format)
Phone: 503-823-7142. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please allow 5-7 business days for processing once documents meeting requirements are received.
Insurance requirements for street and sidewalk use permits: The City of Portland requires the following two documents for Street and Sidewalk Use Permits. The certificate and endorsement must be approved by the City Attorney before a permit can be issued. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing. Documents that contain missing or incorrect information will require a longer processing period.
1. A Standard Certificate of Liability Insurance: The insurance certificate is intended to protect the city from any liability it may incur as a result of granting the requested permit. Certificate shall contain the following:
City of Portland - Utilities, Construction & Inspection (UCI) named as the Certificate Holder as follows:
City of Portland - UCI
1120 SW 5th Ave, Room 825
Portland OR 97204
Minimum Coverage Requirements for Liability Insurance:
- Per Occurrence coverage not less than $1,000,000 (one million dollars) per occurrence.
- General Aggregate coverage not less than $2,000,000 (two million dollars).
Notification of Cancellation: The City of Portland requires 30 (thirty) days written notice from the insurance company prior to cancellation of the policy.
In the “DESCRIPTION OF OPERATIONS...” section of the certificate:
- Indicate the type of permit requested (Street/Lane/Sidewalk Closure, Street Opening, Sewer Connection, Banner, Sidewalk Café, Vending Cart, Community Event, Block Party, etc). For sidewalk Cafes and Vending Carts, please list premise location(s).
- If the insured requests permits for varying locations and dates, indicate “All Operations”. Do not list each permitted location/date. If you do, a new certificate and endorsement will be required for each permit.
- Include the following language: “The City of Portland is an additional insured per attached [insert name of endorsement] endorsement”. (See section # 2 for endorsement requirements.)
2. An additional insured endorsement form: The City of Portland accepts endorsements referring to permits and state or political subdivisions such as CG2012, BP0452, or equivalent:
The City of Portland must be listed in the schedule section of any endorsement where one is included.
The policy number on the certificate and on the endorsement must be an exact match.