Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 1331, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Where do I get the barricades to close the street ?

There are only two kinds of barricades that have been approved for closing off a street for a block party:

(a) Type I barricadesType I barricades (MUTCD compliant, with appropriate markings, equipment, and retroreflective taping) can be rented (or purchased).

As a service to our applicants, we are providing this list of rental companies that we are aware rent MUTCD Type I barricades. We advise you to contact them directly.  
If you are aware of another company, please let us know and we will add them to our list:

(b) PBOT pink barricades:.PBOT pink barricades are only available in the Pink Barricade Lending Zone (download our guide on the ZONE) and are available free of charge to those living in the zone.  Our hope is to add more Portland neighborhoods to the zone, so if your neighborhood is not on the list, please check back next season!

Block Party Events Must be Held on the Same Street as the Applicant's Home Address

What is the Turnaround Time for Block Party Applications?

Due to the increased volume in Block Party applications we do not have a definitive turnaround time for each application. We work hard to ensure that your permit is issued no later than one week prior to the earliest event date listed on your application. With that said, we still try to have your permit issued to you as soon as we possible can.

Your Block Party event location must meet these minimum requirements:

  1. Not in a metered area.
  2. Not on a public transportation route (i.e., Max, Trimet, Streetcar, etc.).
  3. Not a signalized intersection on either end of the closure.
  4. Not a major emergency response route.
  5. Must be on a local service street and not a collector street. 
  • Collector streets are low-to-moderate-capacity roads which serve to move traffic from local streets to arterial or high-capacity roads.
  • NOTE: If you are unsure of the street classification of your proposed Block Party location, contact the PBOT Block Party team and we can help you find out.

I want to have alcohol at our block party.  What do I need to do?

You cannot consume or serve alcohol in the street at block parties.  Please keep alcohol on private property.

Can I close the street for a  private event such as a birthday party or wedding?

The right of way cannot be closed for private events.  Block party permits are intended for only the residents living on a block and are meant to help build community.

My church wants to have a block party in the street next to our church, can I get a permit?  

Permits for church events are not a block party permits, but rather you need to obtain a community event permit.  Please see community event permit information here.

Can I remove the parking along the street for our block party?

The block party permit does not remove parkingYou may ask your neighbors not to park on the street or you can apply for parking closures here.

What if someone isn't home when I try to get their signature?

We don't require signatures anymore but you certainly can gather signatures if you wish.  PBOT asks that you please leave a flyer inviting your neighbors to the block party. For a flyer template, please go here

I want to have my daughter's band play at the block party, what do I need to do?

If you are going to have any type of amplified music, please contact the Noise Control Office for a variance permit.  Check here for information.


PBOT Pink Barricade Lending Zone Info Sheet

A one page flyer on the PBLZ