Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 1331, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Temporary Street Use Permitting

  • 4 Day Residential Move Permit Do you need to reserve non-metered parking for a residential move? Click here to learn more about the 4 Day Residential Move Permit.

  • PBOT Traffic Control Plan Basemap For traffic control related requests, we now require that all traffic control plans or work space diagrams be created using the PBOT Traffic Control Basemap as the starting point.

barricade photo Detour, Road Closed

What we do

Temporary Street Use Permitting issues permits for temporary use of the public right of way, including parking, sidewalk, lane and street closures. Permits are issued as per Title 16, 17 and 24 of Portland City Code.

All Temporary Street Use Permits are applied for, paid, and issued electronically. We do not accept checks via mail. If you are unable to complete any steps of the permit process electronically, we can accommodate you in person at 1900 SW 4th Ave, on the first floor in the Permit Center. We are open: Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Thurs 8:00 a.m. to Noon. For more information, please visit our Application Process page.


City of Portland Employees or Contractors working for the City of Portland:


 Permit Types: 

  • Simple Temporary Street Use Permit (Parking Only)
    Reserving on-street parking to facilitate loading/unloading for events, short term construction/utility work, tree trimming, etc. The Simple Temporary Street Use Permit is intended for 'parking-only' requests. Requests that also include the use or closure of a sidewalk, bike/traffic lane, or street, need to be submitted through the Complex permit below.

  • Complex Temporary Street Use Permit (Traffic Control)
    To use or close a sidewalk, bike/traffic lane, or street, and reserve any necessary parking for: construction, utility work, crane lifts, etc. This application is for any work requiring traffic control (the use or closure of a sidewalk, lane, or street).

  • Renew a Permit
    Submit a request to renew an ongoing permit, or reissue a permit that you have had in the past. Please include your existing permit number(s) and your desired dates. As with all of our permits, please allow at least 5 business days for processing.

  • Change Request
    Submit a request to make changes to an existing permit or a recently submitted application. This may include canceling a permit, changing the dates, etc. Please allow 2 business days of processing time for these requests. THIS FORM CANNOT BE USED FOR EXTENDING ACTIVE PERMITS OR RENEWING A PERMIT THAT YOU HAVE HAD IN THE PAST.


  Quick Links: Fee Schedule | Refund Policy | Change Fee Policy Permit Application Process | Moratorium Insurance | Traffic Control Plans | Work Zone Concerns |
 | Quick Permit | Event Permits | Map of the Central Business District |

If you would like to receive periodic updates or important announcements from Temporary Street Use Permitting: Click here to subscribe.  

Questions? Call or email us using our contact information below.

The Permit Center Transportation Counter
1900 SW 4th Ave. 1st Floor, Portland, OR 97201
Phone: 503.823.7365  Fax: 503.865.3442  Email:
Open: Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Thurs 8:00 a.m. to Noon

Temporary Street Use Permit Types

Permits for the temporary use or closure of the public right of way, including parking, sidewalk, lane, and street closures.