Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Temporary Parking, Sidewalk, Street Use Permits

***City of Portland offices will be closed Tuesday, January 17th due to inclement weather***  


Please see our Process Change Notification explaining our new turn around schedule
Permit Center closings due to inclement weather available on the COP Main Page

The PBOT Permit Center issues permits for temporary use of the right-of-way, which may include parking spaces, sidewalks, travel lanes, or streets.  See below for more information.  If you have questions about the permit process, feel free to either e-mail us at or call us at 503-823-7365. 

Click here for some brief instructional videos about applying for street use permits.

We require a minimum of SEVEN BUSINESS DAYS to process a permit application.  If your permit application includes the review of a traffic control plan, please allow a minimum of TEN BUSINESS DAYS to process your application.  WE DO NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS VIA POSTAL MAIL.

1. RESIDENTIAL MOVES: If you wish to reserve on-street parking to facilitate a residential move, click here for more information.

2. OTHER USES: To reserve parking spaces for other uses, close travel lanes, sidewalks, or streets, click here for more information. This includes construction, utility work, events, commercial moves, etc. Click here for important information if you are requesting a sidewalk closure.

3. TRAFFIC CONTROL PLANS:  If your work will affect traffic (either vehicle or pedestrian), your application will need to include a traffic control plan (TCP) for our traffic engineer to review.  Click here for more information about preparing a TCP.

4. PAYSTATION ACCESS:  If your work will block access to a parking paystation, click here for information about requirements.

5. PARKING ENFORCEMENT OPTIONS:  If you are requesting to reserve parking in a non-metered area, click here for more information about permit enforcement options.

6. STORAGE CONTAINERS / QUICK PERMIT:  If you will be placing a portable storage container in a parking space and do not wish to reserve a parking space in advance, you may qualify for an over-the-counter Quick Permit.  Click here for more information.

7. FEES: For accurate fee information, please contact the Permit Center with the details of your request.  The fees vary depending on the type of permit you are requesting, as well as the nature of the work being done, how the parking is configured, etc.  Please note that parking configurations in the Zone M neighborhood have changed since this fee schedule was adopted.  Check with Permit Center for current rates in Zone M.  (Our fees are evaluated annually and may change with each fiscal year.)  Click here for a quick reference guide to street use fees.

8. INSURANCE: If you are requesting a lane closure, sidewalk closure, or street closure permit, we require an insurance certificate on file naming City of Portland as additionally insured.  Click here for more info.

9. MORATORIUM: Rose Festival and Holiday Moratorium Information  -  2016 Holiday Moratorium Letter

10. COMMUNITY EVENT OR BLOCK PARTY STREET CLOSURESClick here for more information.

11. CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT: Click here for a map of the CBD (Central Business District).

12. VENDING FROM THE RIGHT-OF-WAY: We are unable to reserve on-street parking spaces for the purpose of vending or promotional use.  Click here for more information.

The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) issues permits for temporary use of the public right of way (parking, lane, sidewalk and street closures). Permits are issued as per code requirements in Title 16, 17 and 24 of Portland City Code. 

Examples of permitted use for construction related activities

Temporary use of the public right of way to facilitate work on private property for new building construction, interior or exterior remodel of existing building; or actual work in the right of way such as underground utility installations, soil test bores or underground oil storage tank decommissioning.

Examples of permitted use for non-construction related activities

Temporary use of the public right of way to facilitate activities such as commercial or residential moves, placement of dumpsters for building clean out, event loading in and out to private property or in a public park.

Permit Application Process

Applications may be emailed at any time to or hand delivered to the Permit Center (1900 SW 4th Avenue, M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., except Thursdays 8am-12pm). Do not send applications by postal service.

Once we receive your application, we will respond within a few business days with a fee amount and the projected date the permit will be ready for you to pick up and pay for.  We then submit the permit request for review by the necessary parties (i.e. Parking Control, Traffic Engineering, etc).  Please note that this initial response is not permit approval, and the permit still needs to be reviewed before issuance.  

Allow seven (7) full business days to process the application.  If the application includes long term sidewalk, lane and/or street closures, allow ten (10) days to process the traffic control plan and possibly up to four (4) weeks if the closure has a complicated detour route for either pedestrians and/or vehicles.

Travel lane, bike, sidewalk and street closure permits require approval of a traffic and/or pedestrian control plan (TCP) by the City of Portland Traffic Engineer.  A TCP must accompany the application upon submittal.  We cannot process the application with out a traffic/ped plan.

Travel lane, bike lane, sidewalk and street closure permits require liability insurance to be on file with the City of Portland, listing the City as additional insured. For insurance requirements, click here or contact Street Systems Management (SSM) Insurance Coordinator by phone at 503.823.7142 or by email.

The fees for these permits vary depending on location and duration of permit. Please call the Permit Center (503.823.7365) to verify permit fees.

Metered Parking Areas

Parking permits that are issued for a metered space will be reserved in advance by the City's Parking Enforcement staff, who also enforces violations of the permit. 

Non-Metered Parking Areas

For parking permits that are issued for non-metered areas, the permittee is given "No Parking" signs with their permit.  The permittee is required to attach the signs to a structure, such as a sawhorse or barricade, and place the structure adjacent to the parking spaces to be reserved.  The City of Portland does not reserve the parking space(s).  The City does not provide the barricades.  The permitte may rent or purchase barricades from local companies. Please search the Internet for “ flagging companies and/or barricades Portland” or look in the telephone yellow pages under the heading “Flagging or Barricades.”  The City will enforce and tow violators of the permit only if the permittee has followed all procedures as described in Barricade Procedures brochure. The permittee may not have a vehicle towed if all procedures have not been followed.

Once prepared, permits are available at:
The Permit Center Transportation Counter
1900 SW 4th Ave. 1st Floor, Portland, OR 97201
Phone: 503.823.7365  Fax: 503.865.3442  Email:
Open: Monday – Friday
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (except Thursdays, 8am-12pm)